G8 Leather and foam over Caprice PPV frames?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
s/c'd cav

Re: G8 Leather and foam over Caprice PPV frames?

Post by s/c'd cav »

VintageIron41 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:45 am Does anyone have know of a way to confirm year of a set of seats removed from a PPV? I know of a set but the owner is unsure of the year the car they came from. Does anyone know if the seat covers have the air bag stitched to it, or, do the seat covers fit over the side airbags? Am wondering if there is a custom auto upholstery shop that, given a removed set of fabric front seat covers could use them as patterns to make a pair from leather.

Thank you!
the 11-13 have a narrower seat , head rest looks similar to the G8

the 14-17 seat is wider and a different pattern , head rest looks similar to the SS
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

xcidmigs wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 am I am pretty sure the airbag is mounted to the seat frame/foam nothing was wired to the seat cover itself, I had mine rolled up to the top but not removed completely when I put a set of seat heater pads under the covers years ago. Its actually a very nice design as far as removal/install, no more hog rings everything just uses velcro and plastic tabs. Would seem like your idea of making a new set of covers would be very doable, maybe something you could shop to the rest of the crew here also? I'm sure plenty of market would exist not only for the replacement leather version but also the take off cloth pieces if they are in decent shape for those inclined to cloth or just budget
This guy seems to say that the G8 stuff would go right onto the PPV frames at least on early version...

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... f=4&t=1097
Thank you s/c'd cav, I appreciate all your replies to my questions, as a child of depression era parents, I was raised to try and "make do", as long as the result is functional, and as the British would say, not knackered looking. Which means I try and look at as many possibilities as possible and am not afraid to try something new.

Okay, I looked at that thread you linked, having previously asked about the G8 seats, let me make sure I understand all I need to, because there is a G8 in a salvage yard 40 miles from where I live.

Will the G8 REAR seat set fit in a 2014 Caprice PPV?

Also, with the understanding that the G8 seat rails and electricals won't interchange with the WN Caprice, is it looking like using the leather cover(s) and foam, front the FRONT seats just might be a practical option?

I have sent out some emails regarding my thought of using the cloth seat covers as patterns for leather and will call around locally too, but for what I can get the seat front and rear of the G8 seats for, I doubt I could get custom seat covers made at that price.

Thank you!
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

on the rear seat they do not swap either , as far as fitting the body from what i remember

whether the covers are swappable that im not sure , the G8 onto a 11-13 people have done it , but on the 14-17 i do not think anyone has tried that , i do know the seat width is wider so they fit the larger full dress LEO's easier , so i would guess they changed the width on the metal frame for the seat as well

the lower rear seat might be close enough to swap the foam and cover , the upper the caprice doesnt have the fold down center , and the G8 and SS have the fold down , so more work would be required

if you find the 14-17 seats comfy , then id think a good upholstery shop shop should be able to make you new covers , and even recontour the seats some if they are good at it