OBDII hard wire data link?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
VintageIron41

OBDII hard wire data link?

Post by VintageIron41 »

Does any one know of a data link that does not use Wi Fi that can pull data from the port to read oil pressure, temps etc? Since the PPV has no console, am thinking about building one with a tablet/ipad in it to read engine data, gotta cover that up any way and like knowing what the engine is doing. Don't want to have to use Wi Fi just a set up that stays plugged in to the OBDII port.

Thanks!
xcidmigs

Re: OBDII hard wire data link?

Post by xcidmigs »

What about using one of the OBD2 pod gauge devices that you hard mount to the A pillar?

I use a BT wireless reader frequently with the phone AP "torque" on all my cars and its very good and easy for what it is, does take some time to set up something like a gauge readout that you may want but it is certainly doable and the AP is like $5 and those BT devices are all over ebay/amazon for $20.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Thank you for your reply's guys, had thought about the pod, but have found that the design of the car ( at least at my height) has a blind spot at the A pillar, I removed the spotlight for this reason as it made the blind spot more pronounced to me.

Kinda like the idea of using an iPad or tablet, since my car had the police console removed prior to my getting it, need to fill that up, and finding a police console with the laptop support seems practical. I like the Dash Connection video on YouTube in a Holden Commodore ( also listed on YouTube as Commodore/Chevy SS ), it can be customized, both for readings desired and background, my only dislike is that is is Wi Fi.
chipperdoodles

Post by chipperdoodles »

http://www.obdlink.com/sxusb/ I have this just for scanning pids and whatnot, you can find a lot of elm327 based tools. I feel you on the wireless thing, it's convenient but i would not want something directly connected to my canbus being exposed like that especially if left connected. The company i work for also sells a canbus shield for arduino (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13262), it should be able to get the info you want but would take some programming to get there. There's other stuff you can do with raspberry pis and various dedicated shields, just depends on the scope of the project and data you want. If it's simple data display a micro controller and display screen should be enough. For more telematics stuff a rpi would probably be better. I have a lot of projects in the pipeline i want to work on with my caprice, including making a custom head unit but that's a long ways down the line.