G8 Seats update

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
gregc

G8 Seats update

Post by gregc »

I had them installed for awhile, I just never hooked them up. I got tired of having the airbag light on all the time. The front seats aren't plug and play, you have to modify your body harness and splice the wires together. Since I don't have a helms manual I decided I would cannabalize the PPV seats and install the harness into the G8 seats. The PPV seat harness fits the G8 seats without any modifications, with the exception of the power seat switch on the driver's side. The G8 seats don't have power recline or power lumbar support and the plug won't fit into the switch's receptacle. You do have to remove the seat airbags and swap them in your G8 seats. You also have to swap out the seatbelt tensioner as well. Although I like the PPV seats better, I wanted all matching seats. I swapped out the rear seats and have the trunk access.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: G8 Seats update

Post by Navy Lifer »

Greg, been awhile, and I've wondered how things were going with you & the "V".

I have thought about just how many of the features could be merged between the seat variants - it's almost as if the 2 configurations were spec'd and built to be as difficult as possible to bring the best of both into one package.

The G8 seats have power fore & aft and (in my case) heaters, but lack the power back & lumbar adjustments of the Caprice seat--for driver--which is probably one of the most important features, at least for me.

In the end, if I can convince my better half that she can live without the seat heaters, it may be better to just keep the PPV (front) seats and have them re-covered in leather of choice, and even add some two-tone into the mix, with some lighter seating panels to create a more "luxe" and spacious feel, by picking up some of the neutral/light urban colors in the upper cabin.

I don't know if the heaters could be pulled from the G8 seats and added to the V seats--it really may not matter, but if it's possible, I'd go that route with the change to leather.

Power seat tracks would be "nice", but the manual setup is much quicker to go from one driver to the other, considering I'm a foot taller than my wife.

Definitely want to change the back seat to leather using the G8 rear seat I've got, and would go with a re-trim to match whatever happens when the front PPV seats get re-covered in leather, if we in fact go that route.
gregc wrote:Although I like the PPV seats better...
What is it about the PPV seat that you find is preferred over the G8 seat? Did you mean features, comfort, both, or something else?

Thanks for posting your update...good stuff!
gregc

Re: G8 Seats update

Post by gregc »

gregc wrote:Although I like the PPV seats better...
What is it about the PPV seat that you find is preferred over the G8 seat? Did you mean features, comfort, both, or something else?

Thanks for posting your update...good stuff![/quote]

I like the PPV seats better because of the power recline, power lumbar and better support. You could probably remove the heating elements out of your G8 seats and have them added to your PPV seats when you have them covered in leather. It's fairly easy to remove seat cover. They aren't attached with hog rings like older cars. The seat covering has a strip of plastic with lip on it. The lip attaches to the seat frame by sliding it over the edge of the seat frame.