Time for the 9C3 console swap

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
honor first

Re: Time for the 9C3 console swap

Post by honor first »

gregc wrote:I've noticed that the car goes in sport mode every other time I started it. It alternates between normal and sport mode. When I start it to go to work it's in normal mode. When I leave work, it's in sport mode. When it goes in sport mode, I have to turn the car off and restart the car. I need to get this BCM flashed soon because this is annoying. Or I might temporarily hook up the original sport mode switch so it stays off.
What is the major problem since the sport buttons are both within inches of each other between the g8/9c3 and the 9c1? Do the switches not have the same connector, or something else?

Debating on doing this since I have a G8 center console available to me, but sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

I would do it simply to have the center console; I don't care if the center window switches don't work etc. And same for the parking brake, I will keep my 9C1 parking brake. So if I didn't require the window switches, new parking brake on the console, etc, is it as simple as bolting in the new console, connecting the shifter, and sport shift buttons.

Always done this in my Dodge Chargers but it was literally bolt and go. This has me nervous to attempt.
2011 Caprice PPV 6.0 Black
My Caprice For Sale On Ebay
gregc

Post by gregc »

honor first wrote:
gregc wrote:I've noticed that the car goes in sport mode every other time I started it. It alternates between normal and sport mode. When I start it to go to work it's in normal mode. When I leave work, it's in sport mode. When it goes in sport mode, I have to turn the car off and restart the car. I need to get this BCM flashed soon because this is annoying. Or I might temporarily hook up the original sport mode switch so it stays off.
What is the major problem since the sport buttons are both within inches of each other between the g8/9c3 and the 9c1? Do the switches not have the same connector, or something else?

Debating on doing this since I have a G8 center console available to me, but sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

I would do it simply to have the center console; I don't care if the center window switches don't work etc. And same for the parking brake, I will keep my 9C1 parking brake. So if I didn't require the window switches, new parking brake on the console, etc, is it as simple as bolting in the new console, connecting the shifter, and sport shift buttons.

Always done this in my Dodge Chargers but it was literally bolt and go. This has me nervous to attempt.

The harness on the 9C1 and 9C3 to the console is totally different. The connectors aren't even the same. I had to use my helms manual to figure out the wiring on the 9c1 switches and re pin a few wires to get the match up in the connectors. You can't have the floor parking brake with the 9C3 console. The parking cable is under the console in a 9c1 and extends all the way up and across towards the foot pedal. Since this cable is specific to the 9C1, the cable uses a different mounting system that will not clear the 9c3 console/
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Greg you still have the pics of the swap? Or current pics? Can you repost?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

+1 on the pictures. The ones originally-posted got munged when the server crashed. Having been in our 9C1 for about 5 minutes, I'm seeing another mod coming.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Should have bought a 9C3! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
honor first

Post by honor first »

gregc wrote:
honor first wrote:

The harness on the 9C1 and 9C3 to the console is totally different. The connectors aren't even the same. I had to use my helms manual to figure out the wiring on the 9c1 switches and re pin a few wires to get the match up in the connectors. You can't have the floor parking brake with the 9C3 console. The parking cable is under the console in a 9c1 and extends all the way up and across towards the foot pedal. Since this cable is specific to the 9C1, the cable uses a different mounting system that will not clear the 9c3 console/
Gotcha thanks a bunch for the concise answer. No swap for me.
honor first

Post by honor first »

bump for pictures or anything. went ahead and got the console, it has the parking brake cable attached to it, but any info on the rewiring you did using the helms manual for the sport and trac control buttons would be great
Last edited by honor first on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honor first

Post by honor first »

File attached; from a G8 at the salvage yard
Is this the bracket I need to properly mount the radio in the new place to make the center console work? what else from the center stack?
Attachments
g8bracket.jpg
g8bracket.jpg (210.57 KiB) Viewed 15743 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Fire, huh?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
honor first

Post by honor first »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Fire, huh?
It was a front end collision; front windows and sunroof busted out, so the red you see on the metal is rust, not burn. wanted the leather seats, but they were ruined by rain