Another console swap

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
lastcall190

Another console swap

Post by lastcall190 »

Finally finished the console swap this weekend. JFC that was way more work to assemble than I would have thought.

I still don't have any air out of the rear HVAC and some other interesting things, but I also didn't actually start the car. No sport mode or tap shift, but at this point I just wanted it put back together. I'll monkey with the tapshift stuff around fall when the heat breaks (thanks to MaxSpeed and another member whose name eludes me, the wiring seems reasonably straight forward). I don't have a garage to work in and when I sit in the car I drip sweat all over my work area. I will snap a few pics this week. It's absolutely unreal how much this transforms the interior of the car.

Some notes:

- I opted for the 9C3 factory trunk/traction switch. This required only one extra wire to be pinned to the shifter harness, and ran to the switch itself. All other wires came from my pre-existing trunk switch (2012 here). I used an iwiss crimper tool procured from Amazon. It was very easy once I "practiced" with about 10 terminals...
- I used a manual shift boot a la PPV, and a Rado silver manual transmission trim plate purchased from a local guy
- I am planning on running the window switches into the center console, but for now the space is vacant. Steve W. provided some wiring diagrams with junction locations and the like. I will de-pin all the plugs some weekend and pass them one by one to the console. I expect it to be nothing if not incredibly tedious.
- To do the e-brake cable, just drop the exhaust. It takes an extra 15 minutes but saves 100000% frustration trying to snake your hands up there. I wasted half a saturday turning the securing bolt about 2 degrees at a time from inside the car... dropped the exhaust Sunday morning, which allowed me to get my impact on it, done in 5 minutes. And releasing the rear cables is not happening with exhaust in place. Also pull the heat shield.
- Do yourself a favor and buy a bulk of the assembly screws from McMaster or the like. I am in complete awe at how many screws are used to put this car together.

This post is boring with no pics, I will get some more this week. I would have taken more as I did the work but every day it was about 100* inside where I was working and didn't want to waste any time.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
lastcall190

Re: Another console swap

Post by lastcall190 »

Couple pics, was losing daylight.

-J
Attachments
0805192001a.jpg
0805192001a.jpg (380.45 KiB) Viewed 10375 times