Weatherstripping replacement

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
lastcall190

Weatherstripping replacement

Post by lastcall190 »

I replaced the front driver door weatherstripping (the part that is on the body of the car). The existing piece was torn in half a dozen places and I was getting some serious wind noise.

Replacement went ok, it was a real precise fit but it went on there just fine. Now however the door isn't flush. It's off by such a very small amount that you can't tell unless you run your finger over it, but it wasn't like that before. The wind noise is just about 100% gone on my drive on the highway to work so mission accomplished I suppose. Is it potentially expected that I would have to adjust the door striker a bit? Never replaced weather stripping on any of my cars so I'm not sure what to expect. If I adjust to get the door to close flush I'm wondering how hard I'll have to pull the door shut. Will the weather stripping compress a bit over time? Thanks.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CrashTestDummy

Re: Weatherstripping replacement

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I also replaced that part on our '12. Other than making certain it was fully-seated on the ridge around the door opening, which is necessary because if it's not, it will bow out a bit, the door seems to fit correctly. I didn't notice and difference of fit of the door to the body before or after.

Maybe give it a bit of time to 'seat in' before making any door adjustments? I think that's what I'd do.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks. Yeah I wasn't going to rush because the final piece of my door revival story is the upper hinge that I have to either install myself or have a body shop install and check the door alignment.

I will keep an eye on it.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Upper hinge bad already?!? Odd, I hope!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

The guy must have lived in this car, and never had a passenger, ever. Driver seat foam is shot, upper hinge, wrecked, weather stripping destroyed. Looks like they rubbed against the door frame every time, and leaned on the door fairly aggressively (the door check bushing was shot too). Passenger side front door, seat foam, seat covers, footwell carpet, perfect. Go figure. Oh well.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI