Console swap what else do I need?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
CrashTestDummy

Re: Console swap what else do I need?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, like most of these projects, it seems the first step is:

1. Remove engine.

After that, it's a cinch!! :|

But thank you for the pointers. Always welcome.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm
lastcall190 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am Good deal IMO.

As stated, you will need the shifter assembly from a G8 or 9C3 (former would be way easier I imagine). You could utilize your 9C1 shifter wiring if you want, but try to get as much of the shifter as possible.

E-brake cable from a 9C3 (PN 92191009)
Center compartment for in front of shifter (PN 92206138)
Shifter trim (the PPV is a series 2 VE car more or less, and the G8 is a series 1, so the trim is flat (G8) vs curved (9C3); I used a manual transmission series 2 trim in Rado Silver, a stock 9C3 would also work, or there are other options from AU)

Extra assembly screws (I believe the size is M4.2-1.41 x 16mm). I got a box of 50 in 13mm length from clips and fasteners for $5 plus shipping, the dealer wanted almost 2 bucks a screw :lol:

As for the traction/sport/trunk switch depending on which route you go with shifter wiring, you will need to get some plugs. Steve Walker has a thread here with the proper part number, and a quick sample request from TE Connectivity and a few dozen terminals from Mouser Electronics later, you have yourself ingredients for the switch connection.

Tap shift discussion is its own topic, and I don't even know if I'm going to eventually go that route so I can't comment.

I just finished this up (sort of) a few weeks ago, so it's all fresh in my mind if you got any questions. Putting the console together is very much like a puzzle (some other user coined that description, it was spot on IMO).

Again, the parts listed above are what I personally used. There isn't only ONE way to do it, but I wanted as much of a straight bolt on affair as possible.

Enjoy, it is one of the best things I've done to the car bar none.

-J
Thanks for posting the P/Ns. I've ordered those bits for my console project. ;)
Note that one or both of those parts are supposedly 'special order' parts, and not 'we call them special order since we don't have them in stock, and hope to be able to still get them'. Fingers crossed they're still available.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Seems I didn't update this thread after the last post. Those parts are STILL available (or at least were in late August). We have them in our posession now. I recently got the shifter, so need to take a day in the shop to inventory the parts stack to see what, if anything, I'm missing.

Now that the car finally passed inspection, I can continue on the other projects. The Camaro Brembo brake upgrade is probably next up, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Outlaw9986

Post by Outlaw9986 »

I having the hardest time finding the thread size of the 4 screws/bolts that fit the G8 center console. The PPV console had threads sticking out and used nuts to secure. When the screws are tightened, the entire center w/ e-brake slides forward an inch or two to tighten the cable and to close the HVAC connection. Hope I’m explaining this right.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

You are. I ordered 4 new ones from Tasca parts... there is a chance that they might list the thread size there, or 7zap (not sure if it exists anymore) used to have AWESOME schematics that would also list thread sizes. Lemme see what I can find.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...