Clock spring, 2014 Caprice vs. 2014 Camaro

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
VintageIron41

Clock spring, 2014 Caprice vs. 2014 Camaro

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this.

Am planing on swapping a 2014 Camaro steering wheel into my 2014 Caprice, the goal being having paddle shifter's.

The two wheels look nearly identical regards shape and switches for cruise control and phone etc. while not in wheel covering.

Question(s), while understood that the car will need the software tuned to enable the "tap shift", would changing the Caprice clock spring over to a Camaro clock spring complete the electrical path way to connect the paddle shifter's?

Are the plugs on the Caprice and Camaro the same that plug into the clock spring?

Does anyone have the pin outs for the two car's clock springs?

Thank you!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Clock spring, 2014 Caprice vs. 2014 Camaro

Post by smwalker »

So I looked up the pinout on the Camaro and it does appear to be the same connector as the PPV (And SS) have - 10 Cavity JST
When looking at the pinout for the clock spring you have to remember it's just a mirror of each other. What goes into pin #1 on the wheel side comes out #10 on the vehicle side.

So that leads me to think the pinout is wrong in the GM service manual because on one side it lists 6 cavities used and on the other side all 10 are used. So something is off. What we have found in the PPV's is there really is only the 6 wires present on both sides of the clock spring. So when adding the paddles you do need to to add a wire to the vehicle side for the Tap up/down function. The rest for lane departure are irrelevant on he PPV.

Here are the Camaro wire assignments:
Camaro Clock Spring.png
Camaro Clock Spring.png (134.12 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Camaro Clock Spring Wheel side.png
Camaro Clock Spring Wheel side.png (112.44 KiB) Viewed 3186 times

The terminals used in the X85 connector (Clock Spring) are the JSY AIT-II line of terminals. These also get used at the back of the radio for those connections so very common in the car.
MOUSER: JST AIT-II Terminals

At the BCM you also use JST terminals but they are the HIT line, INfo here:
BCM Terminal Information
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
VintageIron41

Re: Clock spring, 2014 Caprice vs. 2014 Camaro

Post by VintageIron41 »

Thank you smwalker-
What I've determined so far, and with your help, is that the floor shifter activates tap shift when the shifter is pulled back to "M" on a Gen 5 Camaro. Of course, that pig tail from the Camaro floor shifter would need to connect to the BCM in a Caprice.
By adding a pin on the vehicle side of the Caprice opposite the Camaro tap shift wheel plug, the wheel then can be connected to the BCM.
Would you know of where I can determine the pigtail from the floor shifter, and new pin from the clock spring would connect to the BCM?
Lastly the vehicle software would need to be updated to enable the tap shift mode.

Again, thank you!