An off-the-wall seat interchange question

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
elc32955
System Manager

An off-the-wall seat interchange question

Post by elc32955 »

OK, this may be a little off-the-wall but I HAVE to ask it. I was looking around on EBAY earlier today and I happened to come across a pic of a police Tahoe (2015) that was being parted out and I noted that the cloth police bucket seats in front looked pretty much identical to our police cloth seats.... BUT, these were all power, not the half power half manual we have. I noted that the yellow plug coming off the seat looked identical as well to the interface in our cars, AND after comparing some pics of the Caprice/SS front seat tracks vs. the shots of the Police Tahoe front seat tracks I'd have to say they look mighty close. They use to me what appears to be the same hook style in front that we have along with the same type of solid stud on the rear that appears on our seats.

SO.... COULD it be possible that the seats & tracks from the Tahoe could be used in our cars? I don't have access to any Tahoe seats to take tape measurements of or lay them side by side with a Caprice seat, but wouldn't it be neat if they DID interchange and we've just never discovered it because who would think of putting truck seats in a patrol car? It would actually open up a whole new realm of seating for us because there are some darned nice seats out there for later model Tahoes. And from what I can see on the interchange lists, 15-20 Tahoe seats are all the same. And also seem to interchange with the Suburban. So for 14/15/16/17 MY Caprices... maybe... could be....

Anyone have resources we can use to look at this further? Steve, any chance you might be able to take a quick glance at the electrical pinouts to verify if they are different or the same?

I swear I've not been drinking! Given the push for standardization with later GM products, just as a 3-second swag maybe there is some merit to looking into this further. Now if the seat tracks will swap in without any or much modding..... :D :D :D

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: An off-the-wall seat interchange question

Post by smwalker »

GM's push to be come common across platforms could very well account for the seat plug being a match. Now the actual same cavities used for the same wires, would have to be investigated. I would think the seat bottoms would be much taller considering it's a truck!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Could very well be, but without someone wielding Mr. Tape Measure we won't know for certain for a while. However, if all else fails we might be able to gain parts to mod our seats with perhaps. Remember I was the guy that conceptualized putting CTS-V seats in my 2011, and what happens a few years later? The SS comes out with the virtually same seat, lol! You'd almost think someone at the GM Design Studio was channeling the forum... lolol!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

We have a '10 Tahoe. It's not the NNBS body, but I'd be shocked and amazed any changes were made in the seating department on those vehicles between 2014 and 2015. Let me know specifically what you want measured, and I can have a look. I think the whole seat assembly is taller than that in the Caprice, but would have ro verify.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

Did anyone come to any conclusions or get any dimensions measured on the seat tracks?
Car54

Post by Car54 »

I’m throwing in another suggestion. The impala’s ‘14-15’s

Anyone anyone awe come o. Man