Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail

Post by Navy Lifer »

There is a little bit of mystery regarding paint colors, names, SPIL (Service Parts ID Label) information, and the actual paint formulation code. Here's what I can tell you (based on current - 2013 - GM info):

Alto Gray (GGG) - metallic WA-744S (listed as extra-cost in the Holden Caprice online information, but not on PPV)
Heron White (GII) WA-679F
Silver Ice (GAN) - met. WA-636R
Red Hot (GHY) WA-687F
Karma (GIG) - met. WA-610R (extra cost for Holden Cap)
Hugo Blue (GYW) - met. WA-831T (extra cost for PPV)
Black (41U - 2011?) WA-??? (can someone look at their SPIL or provide a VIN for your 2011 black PPV so I can look it up?)
Phantom Black (GIE) - met. WA-690F (extra cost for Holden Cap) (new for 2013 PPV)

The SPIL is attached to the underside of the spare tire cover in the bottom of the trunk. In some cases, the WA- paint code is not listed on the SPIL. What you might want to confirm is that the 3-letter or digit paint code is in the list of RPO's matches your actual paint color.

In my case (attached photo), the SPIL has the correct GGG code, but also lists the WA paint forumla code as WA-679F, which is for Heron White! Maybe someone was having a bad day on the production line!
SPIL2.JPG
SPIL2.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 43993 times

I've put the paint data in the above format to attempt to lock down the information--the 2011 online GM fleet vehicle information is lost, and the data is perishable, so if you do care to have this stuff captured, I suggest you go to the Chevy fleet website and download or print everything you can currently see about the PPV, some of which has changed over the 3 years of production, though mostly in minor ways, color offerings among them. I'm not aware of anyone who has purchased a 2012 or 2013 PPV, yet, but there are probably some out there.

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0Chart.pdf

Bill
storm9c1

Re: Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail

Post by storm9c1 »

Navy Lifer wrote:
I've put the paint data in the above format to attempt to lock down the information--the 2011 online GM fleet vehicle information is lost, and the data is perishable, so if you do care to have this stuff captured, I suggest you go to the Chevy fleet website and download or print everything you can currently see about the PPV, some of which has changed over the 3 years of production, though mostly in minor ways, color offerings among them. I'm not aware of anyone who has purchased a 2012 or 2013 PPV, yet, but there are probably some out there.
And as I replied to the mail list, 2011 fleet info is not lost entirely:
Fleet Tech Info

We should always download and keep these technical files as perma-links either on this site or another site.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Noted - this was re-post of a previous e-mail, for benefit of future Forum participants--yes, I could have edited it.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Can anyone make sense of why dark blue (Hugo) is an extra cost? It's just dark blue, nothing special.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

My SPID label for 2011 Karma is U610R.
There's also a 02D on the same line.
The code in the option list is GIG.
My car is in the paint shop right now, hope they get the right color!

I notice something funny about your label.
It says CC/HC instead of the normal BC/CC.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Barry, I noticed that too, but have not searched for an answer as to why. Obviously the SPIL has "issues", with the error between actual color (GGG Alto Gray) and the code for Heron White. Just one more thing to make it unique!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail)

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've noticed that Tom N. (tomslick) has a GST car (Mirage Glow Metallic) - this is a 2012 car, and it appears the color was only offered for 2012, since the color chart for 2013 shows availability cancelled after printing.

Tom, does your SPIL show the actual paint code (WA-719U) or something similar?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

On the GM documents, go check the main page for the website (not the forum start page). There's now a file section as of the other day where we have a bunch of the GM documents available. If anyone wants more uploaded get with me..... I have one more I'm going to add today, the 2012 Caprice and Impala paint document.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Re: Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail)

Post by Tom Slick »

Navy Lifer wrote:I've noticed that Tom N. (tomslick) has a GST car (Mirage Glow Metallic) - this is a 2012 car, and it appears the color was only offered for 2012, since the color chart for 2013 shows availability cancelled after printing.

Tom, does your SPIL show the actual paint code (WA-719U) or something similar?
Mirage Glow Metallic was also available in 2011.

Mine shows GST on the SPID, but also shows CC/HC WA679F (Heron White)

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Had an inquiry from Hendo, who expressed frustration that the local dealer was unable to ID a touch-up paint product through GM. I contacted my dealer and determined a similar issue--this may be limited to certain Holden-unique colors, as both of our cars are Alto Gray (code GGG or WA-744S). Using paintref.com (link below) you can see what information is available--this should be possible with any paint code for these vehicles, even though the 2011 list is non-existent. Most of the same colors have carried forward at least one model year, so there should be a way to identify your specific code (PPG/Ditzler cross-reference).

First two links are for Alto Gray: (PPG code 928913)
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?ppg=928913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... ler=928913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Year-by-year Caprice paint info
2011 - no listing for Caprice (same as 2012?)

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... el=Caprice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2013 - incomplete
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... ce&rows=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2014 - recalled that GGG (Alto Gray) was dropped for 2014, but it is listed
here, may be other color changes as well
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... yo&rows=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Source for touch-up paint and touch-up kits--use PPG code to get the correct color. (Alto Gray in this example)
http://www.expresspaint.com/automotivet ... setValue=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.expresspaint.com/automotivet ... it-c56.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;