Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
CrashTestDummy

Re: Paint Codes (previously posted as e-mail

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So if the spare tire cover doesn't have this SPIL, one is SOL? I'm not finding it.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warranty- ... ur-ss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy wrote:So if the spare tire cover doesn't have this SPIL, one is SOL? I'm not finding it.
Gene, if you have the VIN, any dealer can print out a complete report on the car, including the same info that will be on the Service Parts Identification Label--SPIL or more commonly called SPID. Read the 2nd link (from SS Forum) I posted above. You don't have to be a member of SS Forum to access it, but pictures won't open if you're not.

So, you are 100% certain that there is no sticker on the underside of the cover for the spare tire? It can be easy to miss....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

Yes, I'm certain that label is missing, unless it's on the other side of the panel, and covered with the floor covering, or under the spare tire, but I think I've had the spare out of the car when I first purchased it. Heck, I even poked around behind the battery covers, and nothing. There's also nothing on the underside of the deck lid, where the SPID was placed on our 95 9C1.

I do have a friend who has access to the GM Fleet Info and actually provided me with the SPID and warranty info on the car when we bought it. Looking through the list, I see 'GIE Phantom Black Metallic', which will get me where I need to be! Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

My 2011 says WA 690F
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, since the label apparently IS missing, I'm wondering if the spare cover panel is original--does the cover have the elastic panel support "cable" (with the end that fits into the hook on the deck lid)? I recall comments from someone that agencies with the PPV had swapped some of the parts (including the cover) and possibly didn't pay much attention when a car was removed from fleet use and just grabbed an original cover without paying attention to the VIN info being correct (a pile of covers, in other words).

I will say this....when I first got the PPV, I looked SEVERAL times and did not see the SPIL on the bottom of the spare cover--it is not obvious, so I encourage you to look again, with a good light, or just pull the cover out of the trunk to see it in good light....there's nothing holding it in and it's easy to remove and re-install.
xcidmigs wrote:My 2011 says WA 690F
The question is...does the list of RPO's include "GIE"?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

I didn't find mine on the first try either. It was sorta sneaky hid! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'll look again, but I searched around pretty well, even looking up toward the front end of the cover. Yes, it has the hanger for the hook.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Best to take it out completely and look, the way it reflects light you can look right past it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I"ll pull the spare and climb in there with a flashlight!! :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

No need for a flashlight when I have God on my side!! The garage faces northeast, soooo, with sunlight filling the garage, I went and had another look. The SPID is NOT there. There is a label for 'Caprice spare wh cover', another label with the part number, and a small price-tag-sized sticker for what I call inventory control. The padding/carpet is glued down to both sides of the cover, so I'm thinking it's OEM. The carpet is not glued down at the leading edge, up by the seat back, but I've pulled that back, and nothing.

If I get time this weekend, I'll pull the battery covers and have a look there. The chores are stacking up, though, so not sure. Otherwise, it's either under the spare tire itself, OR just not there. I wonder who got my SPID? :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?