Side Mirror Hit and Run

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
95_9C1

Side Mirror Hit and Run

Post by 95_9C1 »

I found my drivers side mirror smacked forward, this morning.

At first, I had seen the top cover on the street in front of the car from the dining room ...

With much trepidation, I approached the drivers side of the car, expecting to see the worst.

Whew! They just got the mirror, but whoever it was must have swerved within inches of metal to metal contact.

Since the cover in the street was filled with water from my sprinkles, the incident had to have happened before 4AM, and the bars do close at 2AM ...

I suppose it's always risky parking in the street.

Regardless, I need to replace my damaged mirror (BTW, it snapped back together and appears to be functional despite a huge gouge in the housing and fractured glass).

Has anyone replaced their mirror(s), yet? Easy or difficult?

Should I upgrade to the optional heated mirrors? Plug and play? BCM programming ...?

Lastly, does anyone have any of the side mirror part numbers, handy?

Thanks,

Bob
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Side Mirror Hit and Run

Post by Pursuit »

Bob,
I had mine warrantied for sun fading. Thought they would replace just the cover. Dealership replaced the standard mirrors with heated ones. Supposedly they ordered per VIN. They did all of the work to replace. Did not get the old ones back. BUT, the heated mirrors work when you turn on the rear defrost!

Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Mirror replacement stinks. I had a passenger side mirror ripped off my 95 Caprice by a hungry automatic carwash. Luckily the place reimbursed me in full and I only had a day or two downtime on the car while the repair was completed. Unfortunately the books I have don't have the part numbers in them, but if you call Dal he might be able to hook you up pretty quickly.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

95_9C1 wrote:Lastly, does anyone have any of the side mirror part numbers, handy?
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAs ... evel=19715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gregc

Post by gregc »

Sorry that happened. The mirrors are fairly easy to replace. You'll have to remove the door panel. Theres one screw in the door panel under the armrest that is hidden though. Once you have the door panel off, you just disconnect the harness for the mirror, undo a couple of bolts and the mirror is off. The mirror is the same as a G8s, you might be able to get one cheap off of ebay.
95_9C1

Post by 95_9C1 »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm getting a pair of heated mirrors (92247733, 92247734).

I'm hoping they connect as easily as Maurice describes ...
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I found the following video helpful for the door trim removal. I've had to replace one of my mirrors due to a similar incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPo67v1l5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Bob how about an update on the mirrors? You melting the California dew every morning??
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

If you are into chrome, there are chrome insert panels available for the mirrors. I have them on my 9C3.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Pursuit wrote:Bob,
I had mine warrantied for sun fading. Thought they would replace just the cover. Dealership replaced the standard mirrors with heated ones. Supposedly they ordered per VIN. They did all of the work to replace. Did not get the old ones back. BUT, the heated mirrors work when you turn on the rear defrost!

Good Luck!

Maurice
Our 2012 9C1 has heated mirrors, that I assume are original to the car. My wife noticed the little symbol in the glass and said 'Hey, you have heated mirrors!' I looked, and sure enough it looks like they're heated. The car did come from a northern state, but I'd figure they'd all pretty much come from the assembly line more-or-less all the same. Go figure.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?