rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Post by Navy Lifer »

The photos here are G8 handle/hook - common with WM. GM PN for onyx handle assembly is 92189691 (posted previously in another section)

Use SEM or get parts from C.P. or someone else in Australia if you want light urban/neutral color. There is only one PN, used on both sides, so the hook is offset (forward on one side, aft on the other).

Not clear if the PPV body has provisions for mounting these - anyone with knowledge, please comment.
gregc

Re: rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Post by gregc »

I'd like to put these on my car, but since I have the full length side airbags, I'm afraid to try it.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Obviously, you bring up another point that must be considered.

More research required!
gregc

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:Obviously, you bring up another point that must be considered.

More research required!
Don't all G8s come with full length side curtain air bags? The PPV has only the fronts unless your car was equipped with the full length like mine.
gregc

Post by gregc »

Ok, I carefully pulled down part of the headliner. It appears that they will clear the side curtain airbags. You need 2 additional parts though looking at the parts diagram on tonkinonline. You need the retaining clips and the spacer. The retaining clips attach to the roof and I suppose the spacer provides the support to attach the screws to the retaining clips. I'll try this in the the future, but it's not a priority right now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Interesting--parts book says the spacer is only used in mounting at front passenger position. Have not confirmed on a G8 or elsewhere. Need to get the PN for the screws, and if desired, I can scan and e-mail the info page (illustration). Also have some R&R info from GM, but it does not get into headliner, since the procedure is written as if the vehicle already has handles, so no mention of what is going on behind the mounting surface/headliner.

Spacer PN 92172717 (and not cheap for what it is)

Nut PN 92172719 (2 per handle)

No response from C.P. yet on possibility of buying the tan/light urban handles in quantity (for shipping savings).
gregc

Post by gregc »

A surgeon I work with has a G8. He invited me to look at his car to see what parts will fit the Caprice. I will take a look at the assist handles to see how they attach and if the spacers are present.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

OK, here's the best I can provide:

1. NO spacer (PN 92172717) used in rear seat positions (per C.P. and as suggested in parts book)

2. Onyx or light urban/neutral handles from Oz are $75 each, one or a dozen.
Onyx - PN 92189691 (from G8) - available new in US, available for less than OZ price, or used from G8.
Light Urban - PN 92189690 (from WM Holden Caprice) - not available new in US

3. Mounting requires bolt (2 per handle) PN 10406693 - replaced by PN 11517072 in US, and sheet metal nut is PN 92172719 - 2 bolts & nuts per handle.

I was able to obtain used onyx handles via a dismantler - Cleveland Pick-A-Part is where I found them, but not in their e-bay listings....call them to see if they can supply them. Currently their G8 parts are all listed at 25% off regular prices.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cleveland-Pick-A ... 34.c0.m322

The other option may be to wait and see what the SS Performance Sedan has for handles, should be similar to G8 & PPV.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Bill, under your #2 section above, just confirming the light urban handles listed are the ones for the rear seat, supplied with the coat hooks? It occured to me a handle for the RF seat would be different, I.E. no coat hook in this position. Just wanted to make sure before I latched up another order with C.P., I need my hooks and handles!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Same part, different color - this also means that the hook itself is forward on one side and rearward on the other.

Was just looking at a new (2014) Impala video from Autoweek, and noticed that there's an overhead assist handle for the driver, too--so I'll assume all 4 door positions of that car could have handles, depending on trim level...this was an LTZ, FWIW. Hook/handle arrangement F & R must be different, as I'm guessing there are no hooks in front positions.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/ ... eo-117943/