rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
AACoPD05

Re: rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Post by AACoPD05 »

I'm going to check it out today. Any tips on pulling down the head liner?
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Pulled the headliner down enough to see behind it. While the Impala handles fit into the pocket in the headliner nicely and match the color of the interior just fine, they will not work as is. We already knew the hole distance was different but I'm not sure they can be retrofitted. I guess they could be sheet metal screwed right into the metal frame. If not, maybe a backing plate of some sort on the reverse side of the headliner? Its a shame because they would look nice up there.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

You can buy new handles for G8, of course, or CP can provide them in correct color. Either will cost more than you may want to spend.

Try looking for a dismantling yard that has G8's and grab a pair of handles--they aren't a big demand item.

I got a pair from Cleveland Pick-A-Part from a G8....obviously not in the "correct" color. SEM refinish could fix that, if it matters. Cleveland PAP does not list any handles (never have), so it's worth a phone call to them to get a pair, which should not be a problem if they still have some G8 parts cars--be sure to ask them to include the mounting bolts.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cleveland-Pick-A ... =262916319

I worked with Max - everyone I've dealt with was really helpful.
e-mail: cleveland_pick_a_part@yahoo.com

Eyeballing the new Impala yesterday--I do think the handles for that car (one for each door, by the way) are, like previous Impala, too narrow--distance between the bolts is a good bit less than G8/Caprice handles.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

After looking at a 2014 SS, it appears to me that the handles used, even though called "Titanium", are almost indistinguishable from the neutral/light urban parts used on PPV--based on comparison of an OE PPV sunshade and the overhead handles and sunshades on the new SS.

I've got one on order to check fit/form/function as well as color-match.

SS "titanium" parts info:
Handle PN is 92292665

Clip PN is 92172719 (2 per handle) - sells as 5-pack

Bolt/screw PN is 11517072 (2 per handle)
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yeah Yeah Yeah! If they are a good color match we'll all have handles! I'll have to admit I've been lazy in this regard. Hopefully the coathooks will follow right along... :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Eric, just understand that the hand grip & hanger/hook are a combined function item. The hook is almost an afterthought as far as it's design and true usefulness, other than maybe to hang a bar between the 2 sides of the car for a clothes hanging rod. I've resorted to using the handle itself to actually hang items on (using hangers).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Bill any further info you can provide on this topic?

I will be installing some handles when I get my headliner back in and what I have seen is this:

Rear handles no problem, the headliner rests against the roof frame that I inserted the clips into, Burn in some holes on the headliner and I am good to go.

Front passenger I am lost on though. There are these plastic inverted cups that sort of support and keep the headliner away from the roof. Not sure what other purpose they serve, maybe something to do with the airbags but they run the entire length of the roof. Anyway the headliner does not line up flush with the roof rail that has the clips installed to receive the handle. It seems to be a good 2 inches away becase theses plastic "cups" keep it away. There is a half crescent in the cups structure in the area of the front passenger handle that looks like maybe that gets cut away to allow for screw passage but still it would be pretty far away. Maybe that bracket is what is used to take up the slack. Anyone got a picture of the spacer bracket for the front passenger seat area? May just have to order one of those, thought I couls get by without it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It looks like those parts Bill listed above, if they fit, run you about $120 total for the parts new. I'm sure you can do better from someone parting a car, but if that's not an option, new is available.

I need to replace the rear panel in the trunk of our Caprice, so may throw the handles in the pile, too. Waiting to see what Bill found out as far as color and fit, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I got some tan handles from AU if you are interested. I changed over to a black headliner so I got some black handles as well.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote:I got some tan handles from AU if you are interested. I changed over to a black headliner so I got some black handles as well.
I think I would be. :D I have no plans to change the headliner color.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?