rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
AACoPD05

Re: rear seat overhead handles and hanger hooks

Post by AACoPD05 »

I have access to an '11 Impala that has interior grab handles in the correct headliner color as we have in the Caprice. The handles are just handles with no hooks. These would work for what I need them to do but I'm wondering if they will actually fit. Any thoughts? Maybe if someone has a set of G8 handles if they could measure the distance between the the mounting holes for me?
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The distance is 6.75" or 1.71cm

Let me ask this, as it leaves the door open, and I hope you don't mind--(off topic)--do you happen to have a real name?

Don't take that wrong--we're all adults here and there is not a need to hide behind screen names. If you need to because of your line of work, I understand, and hope you won't be offended by my asking.

Those who have grown up with the technology that makes all this possible are more accepting of electronic ID's, but that's not me, and even if I don't utter a person's name, I feel more comfortable knowing that I COULD, at some point, if I needed to.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Sorry Bill, my name is Paul. :P
Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Cool, thanks!

You aren't "Crazy" Paul in another life, are you??? :mrgreen:

This board seems to attract multiples of certain names - Bob, Steve, Tom, and now Paul!!!!

So, to keep on topic....what was the measurement of the Impala handles?
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I have not gotten them yet, I'm hoping to get them this week or early next week. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info.
Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Just had a note from Steve Eckart, PPV owner in Austin who doesn't (and won't) spend any time on NCF. Here's his comment:

...there are brackets behind the headliner. You need to order the little grommet and/or devises that the four screws go into. They are the same on the G8. And, they are the same is the PPV that holds the rear B pillar trim, behind a little cover.

So, part of that is something I can't totally decipher without a phone conversation with Steve, but the bottom line is we're good-to-go for the rear positions. The "grommet or device that holds the four screws" is the CLIP 92172719 (2 per handle) and the 4 screws are BOLT 11517072 (also 2 per handle)

The 2 fastener parts above are sold as a multi-pack, the CLIP is a 5-pack and the BOLT is a 10-pack. All that is needed is 4 of each per vehicle.

If you decide to order Light Urban handles from Oz, you may want to also order the BOLT 10406693 which is still available there according to C.P., instead of the US substitute part.

Recall my earlier post in this thread:
Navy Lifer wrote:OK, here's the best I can provide:

1. NO spacer (PN 92172717) used in rear seat positions (per C.P. and as suggested in parts book)

2. Onyx or light urban/neutral handles from Oz are $75 each, one or a dozen.
Onyx - PN 92189691 (from G8) - available new in US, available for less than OZ price, or used from G8.
Light Urban - PN 92189690 (from WM Holden Caprice) - not available new in US

3. Mounting requires bolt (2 per handle) PN 10406693 - replaced by PN 11517072 in US, and sheet metal nut is PN 92172719 - 2 bolts & nuts per handle.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

rear seat overhead handles - G8 owner assist needed

Post by Navy Lifer »

Cajun G8 (George),

Can you help us out, please?

What is needed is a few pictures showing the following:

- handle placement in headliner "pocket"

- handle removed to show size of holes in headliner

- anything else that may be useful--some way to help figure out how to locate the holes properly without pulling down the headliner--which may not be possible anyway

Assist will be greatly appreciated!
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I was able to get the Impala handles today. The distance between the mounting holes is about 5.5". The handles are held in place by two 7mm bolts that screw into a u-shaped metal clip. The u clip slips on to a hole in the metal frame.

I guess the next step is to move the headliner down to see what is back there. Anyone pull down the headliner yet? or have photos of whats back there?
Paul
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

AACoPD05 wrote:I was able to get the Impala handles today. The distance between the mounting holes is about 5.5". The handles are held in place by two 7mm bolts that screw into a u-shaped metal clip. The u clip slips on to a hole in the metal frame.

I guess the next step is to move the headliner down to see what is back there. Anyone pull down the headliner yet? or have photos of whats back there?
As posted previously: (for PPV handles)

The (center-to-center) distance is 6.75" or 1.71cm

Does not seem that the Impala handles would be a viable substitute--I'll have a look-see at the new (2014) Impala. The handles are probably going to be model-specific, due to the angle of the roof, bracket placement, length requirements (for bolting pads), etc.

Hoping George (Cajun G8) will respond to my request for more information....I posted last weekend while he was in Austin, so he may not have seen the comments.
gregc

Post by gregc »

AACoPD05 wrote:I was able to get the Impala handles today. The distance between the mounting holes is about 5.5". The handles are held in place by two 7mm bolts that screw into a u-shaped metal clip. The u clip slips on to a hole in the metal frame.

I've pulled down part of the headliner. There are holes where the clips slip
into. I still need to check out my buddy's g8 to measure the hole placement from the edge of the headliner.