tail lamps - options?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

tail lamps - options?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Looking at Holden Caprice literature, it seems the tail lamps are illuminated with LED's. Per C.P., these lamp assemblies are quite pricey, in the $400+ range per side (a lamp assembly for PPV cost me under $100--don't ask why I know). C.P. also reminded me that the LED Holden lamps are probably not DOT compliant and could be ruled "illegal" on a US vehicle.

That brings up another question--not that I'm considering this--does anyone know if G8 tails will fit PPV? The contours all appear to be the same as far as the body, but I may be missing something. It's more a matter of curiosity, if anyone may have tried it or wondered the same thing.
gregc

Re: tail lamps - options?

Post by gregc »

On the ME Caprice, only the Royale models have the LED lights. The configuration on the ME Caprices are strange because all their Caprices are available with V8s only.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

You could just replace the incandescent light bulbs with LEDS... I know it's not the same, but would still be an improvement...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Your best bet would be secondhand tails from Australia, perhaps you'll find some on eBay. There is little demand here because all local models including the former base model Statesman came with the LED tails, so there's no demand as an upgrade. They appear to generally last the lifetime of the vehicle.

I'd be very surprised if they caused legal issues as they are a decent improvement over incandescent.

And no, the G8 tails are completely different (there is an aftermarket option for LED tails for the G8 though).