Headlamp Removal

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
GTObert

Headlamp Removal

Post by GTObert »

Anyone want to share some knowledge on the subject? I removed the two screws I see on the top of the lamp but that doesn't quite do it. I'm hoping the bumper doesn't have to come off...
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Headlamp Removal

Post by smwalker »

Preliminary steps are listed as:
Remove the front bumper fascia.
Remove the front bumper fascia impact bar bracket.

But yes 2 bolts on the bottom:
Caprice headlamp.JPG
Caprice headlamp.JPG (84.77 KiB) Viewed 14573 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

Wow that sucks a lot. I thought only the Germans did stupid crap like that.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Front Bumper Fascia Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the front air deflector.
2 Remove the 4 upper push-in retainers across the top of the fascia.
3. Reposition the front halves of the front wheelhouse liners. (think removal of tire maybe necessary)
1937333.JPG
1937333.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 14567 times
4. Disconnect the front bumper fascia electrical harness to body front electrical harness connector (1).
1937321.JPG
1937321.JPG (47.7 KiB) Viewed 14567 times
5. Loosen the front bumper fascia to front fender retaining bolts (1) approximately four turns.
6. Push the front bumper fascia to front fender retaining bolts (1) upwards to disengage them from the front fender.
1937323.JPG
1937323.JPG (60.02 KiB) Viewed 14567 times
7. Disengage the front fascia to fender bolts (3) and nuts (2) from the keyhole slots in the front fenders.
8. Move the front bumper fascia (4) down away from the front fender (1) disengaging the front bumper fascia datum pin (6) from the front fender datum hole (5).
9. Disengage the front bumper fascia from the front bumper fascia support bracket. Repeat for opposite side.
10. With the aid of an assistant, remove the front bumper fascia from the vehicle.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I am Sorry Disregard this post that is for removal of the whole bar when all you need to remove is the impact bar bracket that seems to be much easier.

Hopefully you can get to the bolts just by taking off the fascia because if you have to take off the impact bar it seems to be very involved:

Front Bumper Impact Bar Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
2. Reposition the auxiliary transmission cooler without disconnecting or draining fluid.
3. Raise the securing lock (3) from the radiator support bracket (2) by 10 mm on both sides.
4. Remove the radiator support bracket from the radiator slide pin assembly on both sides.
Note:Care must be taken when tilting the radiator assembly away from the front end panel.
5. Tilt the radiator assembly away from the front end panel.
6. Insert a suitable holding device between the front end panel and the radiator assembly.
7. Raise and support the vehicle.
8. Remove the front bumper fascia energy absorber.
Note:Be careful with the condenser cooling fins when removing the windshield washer solvent container to front bumper impact bar retaining bolts (1).
9. Remove the windshield washer solvent container to front bumper impact bar bolts (1).
10. Remove the front bumper impact bar to front end panel module carrier assembly bolts (1).
11. Remove the front bumper impact bar to front compartment front rail bolts (1).
12. Remove the front bumper impact bar (3).
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Front Bumper Impact Bar Bracket Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the front bumper fascia.
1937479.JPG
1937479.JPG (25.95 KiB) Viewed 14567 times
2. Remove the front bumper fascia support bracket to front end module bolts (1).
3. Remove the front bumper fascia support bracket from the vehicle.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!! I think I'll just not take the headlamp out. Thanks for all this though. Good stuff.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

just goes to show, when they design a car the guy in room A doesn't talk to the guy in room B !