bad weekend--but it could have been MUCH worse!

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: bad weekend--but it could have been MUCH worse!

Post by Navy Lifer »

UPDATE

At this point, it is too early to know with certainty that the center muffler is going to require replacement--not that the shop info provided to me was wrong, but a final call on that is "TBD" - the body work will happen first, then the exhaust will be addressed, but the shop is asking for a pre-approval to have the part on hand IF it does need to be changed, so that the completion of repair isn't delayed further.

If the piping is damaged and the rear mufflers/tips no longer align, that will trigger the next step--in talking to the shop and USAA rep, I've explained that IF the center muffler is damaged, I would prefer to offer up an aftermarket (and less expensive) option, and, at least verbally, they are amenable to the idea, so the need for the OE replacement part is just a precaution the shop is choosing to employ.

Until then, all I can do is wait and look at the available options--since Kooks seems to offer systems that are intended to mate to their headers & hi-flow cats, I'm really looking more for a "cat-back" setup, since I'm not planning at this point to go to headers--or at least not until later.

Since there is no full cat-back system for PPV, to my knowledge, that doesn't include headers (Kooks may or may not be the only one currently offering ANY full PPV system), I'm looking at either CORSA PN 14950, for G8, or possibly a Borla G8 system. Both of those do require modification to install on a PPV, I realize, so that does complicate matters somewhat. Scott Walker (novadeuce) and I have a plan to still carry this out, if and when the call is made to replace the center muffler.

Nothing against the Solo option--but I want to continue to use a conventional "can" muffler of some sort, simply for aesthetics--CORSA claims their system is "good" with AFM (on G8) but I've not researched that further or looked at what the G8 boards have to say about it. AFM is something that I would eventually tune-out or "cam" out at some point, anyway.

As far as I know, the front half of the G8 and PPV (to the B-pillar) are the "same" dimensionally (front door lengths are the same), so the hangers in that area should be compatible--it's behind that where the piping run to the over-axle connection point for the rear mufflers is going to differ slightly to compensate for the 3.7" longer wheelbase, along with the greater distance behind the mufflers to the bumper cover cutouts for the tailpipes/exhaust tips.

I'm leaning toward the CORSA option, since Kooks does make a pipe/cat adapter kit for their headers to the CORSA G8 cat-back system, which is "the same" dimensionally as PPV at the front end of the system, as already mentioned, so that option does have some appeal--assuming I decided to use Kooks headers in the future. The fact that their headers do work with the oil cooler on PPV & SS (not that others don't) is a plus.

For now, I've just got to wait for the body repairs to figure out if the center muffler IS tweaked enough to replace, and then I can put my plan into action.....more to follow!
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Bill,

Xforce from Australia, has catbacks that, in theory, should work on the Caprice-V, and PPV. They are gradually trying to expand their market, into the US. Their customer service isn't that great, though.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

Navy Lifer wrote:Well, the final cost has jumped another $2K for a "center muffler"--
I helped a mechanic friend about 2 months ago fit an aftermarket full system to a 2011 Caprice.
The stock system sat outside his workshop for 2 weeks and I thought about scrounging the quad tips off it.
When I went back to get the tips the entire system had been thrown out in the trash.
There was nothing at all wrong with it.
:(
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Bill, JHP sells a 2.5 stainless catback for the WM Statesman, by Xforce, that I bet would fit. 1190, AUS, shipping over here wouldn't be that much. They use DHL, have bought lots of stuff from them.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Follow-up.....car is back home, and at this point all seems good--the exhaust did not get replaced. Only remaining issue is fixing or replacing the slightly bent exhaust tips. I told insurance & shop I didn't want them messing with it, although I have verbal "understanding" with insurance to have them pay for replacement parts/repair on a separate claim. We'll see.

At least the at-fault driver's insurance picked up the tab for everything. Still negotiating with them on compensation for medical expenses and loss of work for my wife, who was driving the car at the time of the hit, and I'm pursuing compensation for diminished value. Never done that before, but it's appropriate these days, when CarFax and other data resources are such a big thing in the used car market as far as establishing (ie. forcing down) vehicle values.
Tom Slick wrote:I finally got my ignition recall letter yesterday...no matter, I got rear-ended last week, so I'm not driving it right now anyway!
Tom, we should compare notes on our "rear end" incidents. Finally got ours back on Thursday....accident was 11/29, car was at repair shop (dealer-operated) from Dec. 2nd, way longer than it should have been.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

They finally got my replacement factory axleback last week... it's on now...

Took them long enough!

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Pursuit wrote:Hope your lower diffuser is not damaged also.

Maurice
As a wrap-up on this incident, I first must thank Scott (novadeuce) Walker and his son Alex for their assist on the day of the accident, and for the pictures I was able to post to this thread.

The exhaust is still in the "pending" file as far as further action, but I'll get to it.

As already mentioned, the center muffler was not replaced, so the final repair cost was less than it originally looked like it was going to be, but still, with supplemental charges that were handled directly between the shop and USAA (in my case), the total was over $5K....and that did not include towing or rental car expense during the period the car was in the shop.

As for the "lower diffuser" - technically called an insert (filler) panel, and only used in 2011, we were able to get the correct part from GM SPO. It is a discontinued part, but there was remaining inventory available in Lansing--if anyone wants one, it's PN 92159840. This is a part that was originally purchased from Crazy Paul, since we didn't realize it had been available in the US initially, but was then replaced by another version (smooth) that most of us are familiar with.

See item 16: http://www.gmoutletparts.com/chevrolet/ ... sert-panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the illustration below, with PN info not provided (Item 3), you can see that there were 2 different versions shown, one with the "vent" detail, and one smooth.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAs ... evel=19715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, thanks to everyone for their expressions of concern for Janet--she's pretty much back to normal, fortunately, considering what she's been through in the past--she had a few things to work through just after the accident occurred, but she's tough inside--several back surgeries over the years, rods in her back, fused vertebrae, etc, and another car accident in 2001 (which spurred her second back surgery & overhaul of the original fix) that was much worse than this one.

All in all, it still would have been much preferred to never have had this happen.....
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Navy Lifer wrote:As for the "lower diffuser" - technically called an insert (filler) panel, and only used in 2011, we were able to get the correct part from GM SPO. It is a discontinued part, but there was remaining inventory available in Lansing--if anyone wants one, it's PN 92159840. This is a part that was originally purchased from Crazy Paul, since we didn't realize it had been available in the US initially, but was then replaced by another version (smooth) that most of us are familiar with.
Thanks for this info. I cut out the insert in mine to install the trailer hitch. When I read this today, I put in a call to a contact from a local dealership who scored me this panel (also from Lansing) before they become unobtainium. And for a good price too. Thanks for reminding me. LOL. That part number is the vented version, correct? Do you have the PN for the unvented one? Which one was stock (correct) on the 2011 PPV? My car came with the smooth (unvented) one, so I assume that's stock. Which ones come with the vented one? Maybe I'll order both.

And I'm glad things are working out with getting your car repaired. And more importantly, your wife is doing OK.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, you are correct in your understanding--the "vented" panel is 92159840 and the smooth-surface part - both for 2011 rear bumper only, is 92204154

GM PART # 92204154 - MOLDING

CATEGORY: Bumper/Fascia Emblem

List Price: $109.71
Dealer Cost: $69.78

As CP has indicated, Holden PN's (92xxxxxx) can be categorized age-wise by the mere fact that a larger (lineal) number, as in this case, is a newer part. 9215xxxx (vented) >>replaced by>> 9220xxxx (smooth).

Apparently there were a few early PPV's that used the vented panel--someone here posted a picture of their PPV, with the vented part, which I thought was Holden only, and I was pretty sure no one else had obsessed on Holden-specific parts like I had, so I was led to assume it was installed in production, perhaps even a mistake, or something done to keep the line moving in the absence of the correct part. Further research revealed that it had been available in the US up until a certain date, then discontinued, but inventory remained in GM SPO. Your lucky day!

Car is fixed, wife is another matter--she keeps breaking! Time to trade....? :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks for the kind words!