leather shift knob

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

leather shift knob

Post by Navy Lifer »

Anyone who has already upgraded to a leather steering wheel or leather-covered console cover may also be interested in a leather shift knob.

While there is a Pontiac G8 accessory leather knob assembly available, it may be preferable to use the correct replacement G8 production part. The knob assembly is made up of several parts, and the part that is covered in leather is replaceable. The accessory knob is a complete assembly, and the leather has the Pontiac arrowhead embossed in it, where the production/service part does not.

The topper, of course, is that the cover, as opposed to the complete assembly, costs less. The onyx urethane cover for G8 & PPV is the same PN, and the leather part shown here, PN 92191407, simply replaces the urethane part. All of the other shift knob parts are common to both cars.

See the pictures:

Service part:
knob1.JPG
knob1.JPG (27.25 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
knob2.JPG
knob2.JPG (26.69 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
Accessory part:
G8knob1.JPG
G8knob1.JPG (32.25 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
G8knob2.JPG
G8knob2.JPG (39.46 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
gregc

Re: leather shift knob

Post by gregc »

I did that mod. I only bought the replacement leather cover. It was less expensive, plus I didn't want the Pontiac arrow on it. I did the steering wheel too. But with that you have to buy the spoke covers, rear panel and new steering wheel controls. G8 spoke covers are not the same color as the Caprice's console color for you 9C3 owners. The G8 steering wheel controls also light up red.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: leather shift knob >>> steering wheel control lighting

Post by Navy Lifer »

From what I've been looking at, I think you should be able to switch over the PPV controls/harness to the G8 wheel and not have the red lights. A little careful disassembly allows the parts to be moved from the PPV bezels to the G8 bezels. I've not had the PPV wheel apart yet to see if this IS the case, but I can't imagine the actual control mounting would be different on the backside of the bezel...but this IS GM design....

Sorry to post this buried in a discussion of shift knobs! I'll fix it....

G8
wheel control.JPG
wheel control.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 15962 times
PPV
wheelcontrol2.JPG
wheelcontrol2.JPG (45.54 KiB) Viewed 15962 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I did both the leather shift knob and a complete steering wheel replacement. I purchased my leather knob off EBAY from a seller in Aus., it has the Holden emblem on it. In doing the swap, I found that I was only able to use the front half of the purchased knob. There was a difference in shaft size (if I remember correctly) which didn't let the interlock switch depress all the way to move the gear shift. But, the good news is the front part is the leather-wrap part, so no harm no foul.

The steering wheel I purchased (thank you Matti!!) swapped directly with the PPV wheel with only one screw needing to be transferred from the PPV wheel to the replacement, it was a ground screw on the left hand side. The wheel came off a SSV if I remember correctly. It has the plain english legends on all the controls as opposed to the diagrams like on the G8 and the Caprice, actually I like this one better. The controls all function the same, and the PPV airbag swaps onto the SSV wheel directly with no intervention required. Getting the airbag to disengage required a little gymnastics with a screwdriver and you have to be careful of the clockspring position if you pull the wheel. It all went back together fine, project time was about 30 minutes or so. My PPV wheel is still intact if I ever need to reinstall it, I just have to add the one screw back on that I removed to transfer to the other wheel.

Didn't take any pics of the swapped parts yet, it's dark & late tonight so I'll take some tomorrow.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Re: leather shift knob >>> steering wheel control lighting

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:From what I've been looking at, I think you should be able to switch over the PPV controls/harness to the G8 wheel and not have the red lights. A little careful disassembly allows the parts to be moved from the PPV bezels to the G8 bezels. I've not had the PPV wheel apart yet to see if this IS the case, but I can't imagine the actual control mounting would be different on the backside of the bezel...but this IS GM design....

Sorry to post this buried in a discussion of shift knobs! I'll fix it....

G8
wheel control.JPG
PPV
wheelcontrol2.JPG
I'll see if my original PPV controls are able to be swapped to the G8's bezels. I have an extra G8 wheel with the controls in it. I bought this one first, and then ended up buying an almost brand new one on ebay from a guy who upgraded. It would be easier than swapping out the LEDs.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

When I swapped out my factory wheel for a non-sport leather G8 wheel, I had to buy a junk G8 wheel, and take the controls out of it. I didn't think, at the time, that the bezels and controls from the factory wheel would fit. That is something to remember, if you buy an upgrade wheel, it usually doesn't come with the controls.

I didn't realize I was getting red lights, until after the fact. Not a problem for me. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

I also have a Holden leather shift knob, ordered from Oz. I just used the leather part, on the OEM shaft, thought it looked better than the chrome one.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
gregc

Post by gregc »

The bezels are swappable with the PPV controls. Be careful taking it apart though, but plastic is very brittle and fragile. Now I'll just need to install them.
honor first

Post by honor first »

How do you remove the pieces of the shifter assembly on to replace that part? I am trying to remove the shifter from the center console for my 9C3 console swap and cant get the shifter knob off, so that i can remove the plastic trim around the gear selector/shifter.

i can start to separate the leather part of the knob facing the driver, and the little silver trim between that leather piece and the plastic (backside) of the shifter starts to separate, but i cant get it to snap off but dont want to break it
2011 Caprice PPV 6.0 Black
My Caprice For Sale On Ebay
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

you are trying to remove the knob/shifter for the 9C1, correct?

other than the guys who've already done it, I don't have anything to offer.

Greg Catuncan (gregc) has done the swap--he would be the best bet, I'm thinking. PM him.