Can Chevy SS and Caprice PPV panels can be swapped?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
eagle-co94

Can Chevy SS and Caprice PPV panels can be swapped?

Post by eagle-co94 »

I figured I'd put that out there because I have access to a Chevy SS that was wrecked in the front and since my PPV is still sitting it might be an interesting swap if the panels are interchangeable. I don't want to make the gamble though if it ends up they won't bolt up without major work.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
storm9c1

Re: Can Chevy SS and Caprice PPV panels can be swapped?

Post by storm9c1 »

Over the history of this platform, I've read that the Commodore (SS) and the Caprice use the same front doors but different (narrower) back doors. Somebody else will have to verify if this is still the case. Might only be possible in the same model year runs as subtle changes were made from 2011 until now (such as window controls for examples). Either way, you will only be able to swap front door panels. You may have wiring mismatches to deal with as well.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I was thinking front clip only as there was a white 2014 SS selling today but bids were already at 16k.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
honor first

Post by honor first »

storm9c1 wrote:Over the history of this platform, I've read that the Commodore (SS) and the Caprice use the same front doors but different (narrower) back doors. Somebody else will have to verify if this is still the case. Might only be possible in the same model year runs as subtle changes were made from 2011 until now (such as window controls for examples). Either way, you will only be able to swap front door panels. You may have wiring mismatches to deal with as well.
i think he was referring to the exterior front clip, fenders, bumper, etc

and OP i imagine any SS is going to go for 20K+ if salvaged out in an accident, as long as the accident wasnt catastrophic
2011 Caprice PPV 6.0 Black
My Caprice For Sale On Ebay
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

James,

Did you scarf the front seats from the SS? If you have access to the wreck take a good look and see if the seats between the Caprice and the SS share the same mounts and possibly wiring configuration. Since A-link is in the house now I'm betting a bunch of harnesses have new configurations (but I could be wrong - Chris White please weigh in here if you see this). There's been a little rumbling about seat swaps on other sites but nothing definitive, especially since my front seat swap project went firmly on it's keyster.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I haven't seen the car in person as is being auctioned of on Copart. For the price is going for (up to 16ķ so far) I'd rather grab something else. I can grab a Camaro SS for parts for about 10k.
RedCentreBluey

Post by RedCentreBluey »

From the B-Pillar forward the Caprice and Commodore based cars are the same, except for the exterior panels forward of the firewall. This means that you could put a Caprice nose on a G8 for example,, it will bolt right up, just change fenders, bumper and bonnet and grille.
Likewise you could put an SS nose on your PPV.
Note tho that there may be some detail differences, but based on age.
I repaired a WN Caprice with some parts off a WM, the panels etc fitted fine, but the radiator support frame was different, so the airbag sensors had to be modified a little, and the catch assembly was different, we ended up putting the older model hood catch on, altho the release cable was different, and was suitably modified by the shop to do the job