Rear doorsill panels. What's the part number?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Rear doorsill panels. What's the part number?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, I'm gonna take this a little off-topic, but I gotta ask, what's the obsession with the ticket light all about....this car isn't doing to be used in L.E., is it? Don't be offended....just "gots to know"! I agree that the stock overhead opaque white lamp is sub-par, but I fixed that with CP's help--go take a look at the overhead lamps in the SS--individual bright spots for each seating position. That's what I'm using, but it came from Oz, so it's the matching "light urban" of the PPV interior.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=114&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, I still need to fix all the corrupted pictures (server took a dump before you came along).....

Those door seals are something I wish GM would take another look at--I'm driving a Malibu (2014) at the moment, and it has the same problem--for a larger-stature person, with the seat moved back, entry & exit often becomes a matter of sliding my left pant-leg across that rubber seal, and it really puts a black stain on that leg. The B-pillar design (for strength and impact requirements, I assume) is not friendly, as it flares out below shoulder level downward, which pushes that seal into contact with a person during entry & exit, unless taking great care to avoid the contact. Not a good design, IMO.

Now, tell me about this 310 (displacement?) LS1--is it an LS1 block with a 4.8 crank, or???

Back on topic....resume discussion.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

For one thing, there's a big, ugly hole in the headliner. Secondly, there are NO other lights inside the car. I may discover why when I pull the dome light/sunglass holder console from the car, but I'd like at least some lighting inside the car. That light has come in handy in our Tahoe and 95 9C1, so I'd like to reinstall it. Otherwise, it's a big black cave, even in daylight.

:lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

310 cu. in. LS1 - yes, 4.8 crank, offset ground for small journal SBC rods in a 5.7L block. It has ARE heads, Stainless Works long tubes, a VERY nice hydraulic roller cam, Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake and 650 CFM Holley (class rules). I went carbed first off, as I thought I'd save some money on the computer and pumps. I ended up having to replace the carburetor we were using, and with the intake, new carb, front accessory kit and distributor drive (oh, and distributor), I'm probably at about break even with respect to the price of FI and an ECM.

We're running a TH350 with a Hughes circle track converter, that's frankly, still a little too tight. The launches are really soft, but once we get over about 3000 RPM, in any gear, you really have to hold on.

It's still a work in progress, I'm not sure any C Prepared autocross car is ever finished, but a fun drive, and my wife and I get a kick out of the competition (she co-drives). Next up in the parts swap will be fabricated front spindles and new front brakes. I'm hoping to drop at least 50# off of each corner, I may get even more.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

So that overhead console would be this:

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/chevrolet/ ... ad-console

?

Of course, I'm not seeing the harness.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That sounds like an interesting engine....it's always bothered me that Ford has stayed with smaller displacement engines and can still produce power numbers that are similar to 6.2L LS levels.

I was always curious what would have been the result of a similar effort with the LS pushrod engine, considering the cylinder heads are so much better today, compared to those of the 67-69 Z/28 "DZ" 302. I do know the LS1 cylinder bore is smaller, so valve sizes equal to the old small-block may not be possible without issue.

Anyway, it's something that GM actually did do, as an experiment, and it appeared in a Gen 4 Camaro at SEMA back in the early 2000's, but nothing more ever came of it. I recall the power level was reported at 425, but I could be wrong.

I guess the problem was the displacement = torque, and as GM's cars were getting heavier over time, the bigger engines became the norm.

As far as the overhead console, yes, that is the one I'm referring to--I'm not sure if the illustration is correct, since the view provided seems to show the sunroof control push buttons, where the unit I have (and I'm not certain about for the SS) has a flip-down glasses holder.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The SCCA gives you weight breaks in some of the prepared classes, depending on engine displacement, among other things. In C Prepared, if we keep below 310 cu. in., we can run at 2800# total. Over that, and you're carrying 3000# around the course. Lighter is always better, even if we're still not built to the letter of the rulebook.

The web page showed two consoles, one with and one w/o sunroof. You have to carefully look at the fine print. It took me a while, too.

I also noticed, while perusing that site, that while you could order the 9C1 shifter and shifter console as a kit, you cannot do so with the 9C3 shifter. :(
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?