Carbon fiber?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
S13REMI

Re: Carbon fiber?

Post by S13REMI »

Pursuit wrote:FYI,
I scaled my car at the racetrack, 9C3, full tank of gas, two batteries, full size spare and full size driver (250 lbs.) the car nudged 4500 lbs.

Maurice
Thats a lot for some reason i was pretty sure these cars only came in at 4100lbs. If Greasy was able to get it down to 4040 thats impressive
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Yes it is. I figured he found over 200 lbs. that weren't needed.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
kevink

Post by kevink »

Pursuit wrote:Yes it is. I figured he found over 200 lbs. that weren't needed.

Maurice
He probably lost more than 200 lbs if it weighed 4040 lbs with the blower. There's probably a slight difference between 9C1s and 9C3s, but I doubt it's significant (carpet vs rubber mat, full console vs police console, spot light or no spot light, etc.).
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

There's about 108 lbs in factory batteries alone, if you have the two. I'm installing a 24 lb. Odyssey battery in the accessory-battery slot on our car, and moving the factory-sized AGM from there over to the driver's side. When it finally dies, I'll throw another Odyssey in that slot, too.

Wheels and tires are a big hit, too, and it's unsprung, rotational weight, so it would pay performance dividends to get something lighter there. You'll likely loose the 'official' look, though, as I haven't found anything that looks even close.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

I too would like to reduce some of the weight from these pigs. I have considered lighter wheels and tires. One problem I haven't solved yet is that doing so may not be compatible with the Stabilitrak. Can anyone more savvy on the subject elaborate whether or not lighter wheels/tires will mess with the Stabilitrak? Can it be tuned out? Are there other possible side effects from tuning? I assume this might also apply to stickier performance tires as well. I'm mainly referring to page 34 of the Specs here:

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Holden_buff wrote:I too would like to reduce some of the weight from these pigs. I have considered lighter wheels and tires. One problem I haven't solved yet is that doing so may not be compatible with the Stabilitrak. Can anyone more savvy on the subject elaborate whether or not lighter wheels/tires will mess with the Stabilitrak? Can it be tuned out? Are there other possible side effects from tuning? I assume this might also apply to stickier performance tires as well. I'm mainly referring to page 34 of the Specs here:

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfl ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldnt worry about stabilitrak....

light wheels make such a huge difference on these. one of my favorite wheels
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

Yes, I saw your write-ups on those wheels ... pretty sweet. Have the you written down the weight or weight savings on that?
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

Holden_buff wrote:Yes, I saw your write-ups on those wheels ... pretty sweet. Have the you written down the weight or weight savings on that?
Havent looked in to it to much. I know that alloy wheels are much lighter. The rear 19x12's come in at only 25lbs and the front 18x9's 27lbs. Can any one chime in as to what the steel wheels way?
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

I removed The aux battery and the associated brackets and wiring. All of the sound deadener and heat shields. My wheels at the time were 17lbs a piece (factory steels are +/-40) washer tank is gone. forged rods and pistons(i dunno if there was any weight savings with that). obviously factory exhaust has been replaced. No spare. Random extra parts.. Ive added stainless steel fuel lines, blower and parts for it, two extra fuel pumps, fuel pump controller and some other brackets and stuff. Also i was not in the car. I weight 165 currently so i figure im at 4200lbs race weight. Id like to see it closer to 3800 with me in it. but im only willing to take it so far.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

i thought you still had a dod car Greasy. any reason your not spinning that blower a little faster with a forged bottom end