Has anyone changed their front seats?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
gregc

Has anyone changed their front seats?

Post by gregc »

I changed my rear seats, and I've been too busy to get the front seats swapped out. I know the G8 seats are a downgrade because I lose the 8 way controls for the drivers side. I'm hoping the harness is a simple plug and play. I'm looking at the Katskinz website to see different ideas as to how I want my leather seats to look like. The reupholestery is an entire different project saved for another time.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Has anyone changed their front seats?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Steve Eckart has G8 seats in his PPV....he doesn't spend any time here, but if you look back through e-mails I sent earlier, you will see his name and can pick off his e-mail address. He will respond, but most likely would prefer to talk. He's in Texas.

I purchased a full set of G8 seats, and have similar concerns between PPV & G8 seat features, and plan to figure out how to use the G8 base for the power fore/aft feature while keeping the PPV power features--so they are not installed yet. I also want to figure out how to incorporate the seat heaters in the G8 seats. Wiring and function (probably through BCM) could be a challenge. I, too, want to consider something different as far as color--not a fan of going all black, and some lighter colors as part of the seat help make the interior feel more spacious. I've looked at Katzkin myself--like you, no rush.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Navy Lifer wrote:not a fan of going all black, and some lighter colors as part of the seat help make the interior feel more spacious.
Sorry if this is off topic but mine is the only PPV I have seen up close. My seats are black cloth but have thin white lines in the inserts as well as what appears to be leather (possibly Pleather) details near the top for the airbag sides and the headrests. The white lines in the inserts are incorporated in the back seat as well. Is this standard?

Thanks,
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, I think you have the same interior--it changes appearance based on natural or artificial light, and in direct vs indirect light. The color variation, whether white or (I've seen this listed) green "thread" in the center and back seating areas, is standard-issue. Black, onyx, or whatever....there was/is no optional color--just the 9C3 cloth vs 9C1 vinyl/cloth mix.
gregc

Post by gregc »

The Tech wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:not a fan of going all black, and some lighter colors as part of the seat help make the interior feel more spacious.
Sorry if this is off topic but mine is the only PPV I have seen up close. My seats are black cloth but have thin white lines in the inserts as well as what appears to be leather (possibly Pleather) details near the top for the airbag sides and the headrests. The white lines in the inserts are incorporated in the back seat as well. Is this standard?

Thanks,

All PPVs have the same front seats called eclipse. If you have a a 9C3, you have a matching rear seat with the eclipse cloth. I have a 9C1, with the optional vinyl rear seat.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

You know... I was looking at the Recaro seats in the 2010 & up Cadillac CTS-V's on-line.... those look really, really nice. I wonder if those would physically fit in our cars? There's a few sets of late model CTS-V seats on car-part.com. Cleveland pick-a-part has a matching left/right side set out of a 2012 CTV-V with 16K listed right now in black. I could tolerate the Cadillac emblem on the seat for good comfort like that... lol...

Here's a few shots of one I found on an EBAY listing out of a 2010 car, these are sorta doggy but you get the idea.
CTSVrecaro1a.jpg
CTSVrecaro1a.jpg (140.84 KiB) Viewed 13172 times
CTSVrecaro2a.jpg
CTSVrecaro2a.jpg (141.34 KiB) Viewed 13172 times
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Navy Lifer wrote:Tom, I think you have the same interior--it changes appearance based on natural or artificial light, and in direct vs indirect light. The color variation, whether white or (I've seen this listed) green "thread" in the center and back seating areas, is standard-issue. Black, onyx, or whatever....there was/is no optional color--just the 9C3 cloth vs 9C1 vinyl/cloth mix.
The fabric is white and black(charcoal grey, actually)... the green is an optical illusion. The good thing is that the material on our seats is higher quality, made to handle more punishment that standard "production" fabric.

Here are a few pics of mine:

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just FYI - I did contact Cleveland Pick-a-part on their Recaro seat set from the 2012 CTS-V wreck with 16K miles, black leather that they had listed on Car-part.com. They want $2,900 for the complete seat set (front & rear matching) plus $450 for truck shipping to my zip, and I have to have a forklift or loading dock to unload at or they send them to the "nearest terminal". Now I didn't try to work them for price reduction any, but considering that the option from GM was $3,400 new, that's still a hefty price on those seats. Too rich for my blood right now!

So, if anyone wants this set have at it! I'm gonna bide my time and try to find a cheaper set down the road... I was doing some picture comparisons and found the sport seats in my Volvo are very close to the same construction as the Recaros. No wonder they're so comfortable....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gregc

Post by gregc »

The recaro seats are comfortable, but not $2900 comfortable. How would you know if the rear seats would fit? I'd just get the fronts even if the seat covers are in so so condition and have it and a rear set of G8 seats reupholstered to match.

elc32955 wrote:Just FYI - I did contact Cleveland Pick-a-part on their Recaro seat set from the 2012 CTS-V wreck with 16K miles, black leather that they had listed on Car-part.com. They want $2,900 for the complete seat set (front & rear matching) plus $450 for truck shipping to my zip, and I have to have a forklift or loading dock to unload at or they send them to the "nearest terminal". Now I didn't try to work them for price reduction any, but considering that the option from GM was $3,400 new, that's still a hefty price on those seats. Too rich for my blood right now!

So, if anyone wants this set have at it! I'm gonna bide my time and try to find a cheaper set down the road... I was doing some picture comparisons and found the sport seats in my Volvo are very close to the same construction as the Recaros. No wonder they're so comfortable....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

A lot of the CTS-V interior trim looks very close to our designs if not identical. For instance the assist handles in the rear appear to be the same type design from casual glance. I took a good look at the non-Recaro seat, and they appear almost identical to our frames. I'd be willing to bet we could take a set of AQ9 seat skins and foams, remove our cloth and foams, and pop them right over and they'd fit (not sure about the police cutout though on our frames). I'd be willing to bet some of the base design for the 2009 & up car was sourced from Holden, or at least very strongly influenced by it. Probably in a desire to promote consistency between the parts line manufacturing operations I'd guess, one day they do Caprice seats, another day they do Holden seats, etc etc.... of course the Recaros are a completely separate line in the US plant.

We need to take a good look at CTS parts when sourcing seats and misc. interior for our cars, seems like at least on some items there could be interchange there. Here's a shot of the 2012 CTS rear seat, compare to ours and you see what I mean...
CTSVreara.jpg
CTSVreara.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 13172 times