Bulb Information for the Newbie...

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
CrashTestDummy

Re: Bulb Information for the Newbie...

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Oops! Sorry, got wrapped up in work and reading this at the same time. I meant low beams. Those will probably get ordered at the first of next week. Again, PM Offutt for details on the low beams, as he has both in his car.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The new low beams finally arrived. I'll be trial-fitting them in my wife's '10 Tahoe PPV first, though. I'll update on both when this work gets done.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, they won't fit the Tahoe, not enough space behind the light bucket, IN A TRUCK!?!

So I proceeded to install them in the Caprice. Man, are things tight there. The driver's side is fairly easy once you completely remove the air filter box. The passenger's side, though, is literally a pain to install. I did finally get it in, and even managed to somehow get the cover back in place. I did note that BOTH low beam light plugs looked like they had been pretty hot. Hopefully these LEDs will pull less amperage and help the electrical bits live a bit longer. Time will tell.

Since these bulbs have their own cooling fans, I did open up a couple of the little rectangular holes that are covered up by some sort of rubber cover. Since the headlight reflector area is sealed off by the bulb, I figured a little more ventilation in the back of the light bucket can't hurt. No road test in the dark yet, but they do look a lot whiter than the old bulbs.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

is the reflector really sealed without that dust cover? if so why do they bother with using it at all? I decided it was a no go on my setup as my headlights are perfect right now and i don't want to chance it can't imagine the cost to replace. Also i was able to use the H7 led on another car that has no such rear cover. Did you take any pics while installing so people know what we are talking about here?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

No pix, so I guess it didn't happen. :D There's really no freaking room to get your hand in there, let alone a camera. it's all black parts on black parts, surrounded by black parts, so there's not much contrast there, either.

While I think the reflector area is completely sealed, I don't know for certain. I think you'd have to completely remove the headlight bucket and inspect it to know for sure. It looks sealed off to me, and I have no clue why there is a separate area for the wiring. Maybe some silly safety law in Australia, or parts of Asia? It is weird, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Has anyone installed the HID bulbs with ballasts? I have some from DDM tuning in my truck and love them.

I'm thinking of going with XD for the Caprice tho: http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Kit-X ... xt-h11.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(only warning is that the DLRs be disabled, which WAMS can do)
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yukons seem to have a lot more room for stuff like that. I see postings on the TYF forum where people are saying "yeah, it fit great, plug and play", only to pry the info from them that they have a Yukon. I think the Yukon lights are moved closer to the centerline of the vehicle, moving the lights away from the front edge of the fender. It's a show-stopper on a Tahoe or 'burb.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

I just wanted to confirm, what I gathered from this thread is that LED replacement H7 or H9 bulbs, low and high beams, will fit with the dust covers in place? Also, that making small holes for ventilation, will not cause dust to get in the reflector area?
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

There’s been a lot of advances in LED headlights in the last couple years and imagine more is on the way. I haven’t looked recently, but wouldn’t be surprised if there are better (smaller) options now.

I just read this thread from the beginning and find it interesting that increasing the wire gage is suggested as a big improvement. If LED, lamps draw less current, I guess it’d be pointless to upgrade the wires if an LED upgrade is planned.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
Josephkushner

Post by Josephkushner »

Ok so 4 yrs later now. Do we have any new information on led products that would fit and be brighter?