Battery light with noise

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
VintageIron41

Battery light with noise

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hello and thanks for taking time to read this.
This is regarding a 2014 6.0L Caprice WN. I got the car in mid January, it started fine, but turned over a little slower when the temps got below 10 degrees outside, in that the battery was a few years old I replaced it with a new AGM battery. I've put a couple hundred miles on the car, and yesterday, nearing home, I detected a whirring noise that changed with engine rpm, I was close to home, and noticed that just as I was entering the driveway, the whirring noise was accompanied by some clicking sounds and the battery light came on the instrument panel. Since I needed to change and get to work, I switched vehicles.
Today, I put my scanner on the OBII port, there were not codes pending or stored, I removed the battery and took it back to where I bought it, they checked it at 12.55 volts, 89% charged, currently they have it and are charging it back to 100%.
Were you me, what would be your next course of action once the battery is re-installed? Start and check the charging voltage? Has anyone encountered this problem? What would account for the whirring noise?

Thank you!
cerbomark

Re: Battery light with noise

Post by cerbomark »

alternator check. (pulley/belt, bearings and output).
2016 C1
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Whirring ( bearings likely) noise coming from alternator area, with long bladed screw driver touching alternator casing can feel grinding vibration in handle of screw driver. Hopefully the local starter/alternator rebuild shop can rebuild it, new ones are pricey. Thanks for your reply.

Clicking sounds likely solenoids or other switches opening/closing due to incorrect voltage generation?
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

keep us updated how a rebuild works out if that s it.
2016 C1
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

hey old school would be to (Carefully) put that screw driver handle to your ear. Works like a stethoscope .
2016 C1
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I would pull the belt and check all the pulleys - if one is seized up it could be slowing down the belt. If they all turn feely then a new alternator would be in order.

I have asked our local rebuilder if parts were available for a rebuild on them, he has told me none are yet in the rebuilding market. Not quality ones anyway. So I think a new one might be the only option.

Looking at the GM parts sites there is a 140 and a 170 amp version for the 14's - Thats interesting, wonder if that was an option? Or would one be for the dual batteries and one for not?

Amazon - 170 amp version

Amazon - 140 amp version
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Looking at RockAuto, they only list the 170A new ACDelco with the price to match. Thinking a little, what about the G8 version? Yep, it's 140A. There is a reman available as well as new ones much cheaper. Funny thing is that the new ACDelco has the decoupler while all the others for the G8 do not.

As far as 170A vs 140A, we have to remember that they originally came with the higher amp alternator for the police equipment. IMHO, unless you're running a bunch of bass thumping amplifiers, 140A would be plenty.

As far as I can tell, they look like they are identical for mounting.

*** Ooops, the above was for 2011-2013.***

For 2014-2017, there are optional 140A and 170A on RA except that most are out of stock except for the least expensive Remy rebuilt 140A. The 140A is from the SS.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/che ... rator,2412
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Hey guys thanks for all the reply's and links. Although the belt tensioner looks in need of replacing, twitching and a little noise, the belt looks new and appears to be turning without a drag, car starts runs quiet for a few seconds then noise from alternator like a coffee grinder followed by clicking noises and battery light coming on. Will post tomorrow after calling the local rebuild shop and let you all know what they say. Have found one from a salvage low mileage 2015 for $100 that car has some other parts I could use, looks freshly crashed.
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Just talked to the local starter and alternator shop, they can rebuild the high output alternator, but the price isn't much less than a new one at $289.