Analog gauges displayed on the Touchscreen

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
91C02920

Re: Analog gauges displayed on the Touchscreen

Post by 91C02920 »

elc32955 wrote:Seems like this would be rather simple for someone with the right phone and with Chris White programming on their radio as well as the RCA video in to the iQ. For proof of concept, it doesn't have to be an OBD-II dump, it could be anything. Run Blues Brothers from the phone out to the iQ if you want, it's just a video source. If it can display from the phone then you're 99% there. Gene, it COULD be just as simple as what you're saying basically with tossing a phone in the glove box.... but someone has to test. By using a DVD input you'd also get the side benefit of porting your favorite audio in at the same time if you wanted. Any volunteers?

Eric

Oh, one other note.... This would also work probably in MyLink setups (2014 + up cars) as well, as long as you were commandeering a DVD video line into the box. This is of course assuming your radio's been opened up and the safety inhibits are off for watching video while driving.

I ordered a phone and a cable, but haven't gotten my radio done yet. Will the dealer be able to enable the reverse camera and rear video with a Tech2? (I know they can't disable VIM, the rear entertainment would be enough to test it out.)
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

elc32955 wrote:Seems like this would be rather simple for someone with the right phone and with Chris White programming on their radio as well as the RCA video in to the iQ. For proof of concept, it doesn't have to be an OBD-II dump, it could be anything. Run Blues Brothers from the phone out to the iQ if you want, it's just a video source. If it can display from the phone then you're 99% there. Gene, it COULD be just as simple as what you're saying basically with tossing a phone in the glove box.... but someone has to test. By using a DVD input you'd also get the side benefit of porting your favorite audio in at the same time if you wanted. Any volunteers?

Eric

Oh, one other note.... This would also work probably in MyLink setups (2014 + up cars) as well, as long as you were commandeering a DVD video line into the box. This is of course assuming your radio's been opened up and the safety inhibits are off for watching video while driving.
I made a quick video for you guys. I am using both video inputs on my iQ/PPV radio. On the rear aux input, I mirror my iPhone. On the EDI input I have an aftermarket Sat Nav system. So yes, what you are describing is easy to do. Enjoy!

EDIT: I did not mention the reverse camera input which I am using as well. So technically, there are 3 video inputs.

https://youtu.be/rFnYEJLccK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by BlackGT5 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

91C02920 wrote:

Eric

I ordered a phone and a cable, but haven't gotten my radio done yet. Will the dealer be able to enable the reverse camera and rear video with a Tech2? (I know they can't disable VIM, the rear entertainment would be enough to test it out.)
No, dealers can't do that.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

BlackGT5 wrote:
elc32955 wrote:
I made a quick video for you guys. I am using both video inputs on my iQ/PPV radio. On the rear aux input, I mirror my iPhone. On the EDI input I have an aftermarket Sat Nav system. So yes, what you are describing is easy to do. Enjoy!

EDIT: I did not mention the reverse camera input which I am using as well. So technically, there are 3 video inputs.

Ok I'm completely lost. I did the White radio mod a long time ago and all I got out of that was that there was another set of RCA's i could attach whatever video source i wanted to which at the time i had no interest in. You are saying that you can just make whatever images coming from a cellphone or something like a garmin appear on the car screen by just using a rCA to whatever converting cable? What is the EDI input you reference? in the video the end part seems to show you pressing the "CONFIG" button briefly before it switches to the NAVI screen.
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

xcidmigs wrote:
BlackGT5 wrote:
elc32955 wrote:

Ok I'm completely lost. I did the White radio mod a long time ago and all I got out of that was that there was another set of RCA's i could attach whatever video source i wanted to which at the time i had no interest in. You are saying that you can just make whatever images coming from a cellphone or something like a garmin appear on the car screen by just using a rCA to whatever converting cable? What is the EDI input you reference? in the video the end part seems to show you pressing the "CONFIG" button briefly before it switches to the NAVI screen.
I have an old iPhone 4s that is jailbroken. With the help of the right cable and an app called DisplayOut, I can mirror everything on my phone. On newer phones which now use HDMI cables, you will need an HDMI to Composite (RCA) converter. You will also need the video cable that goes to the right side of the radio. Picture below shows a cable that I made with 2 RCA's (for rear aux and reverse camera) as well as the wiring for the EDI input which is RGB video. The cable on the bottom is my USB cable.

Info on Holden EDI system: https://youtu.be/RdBNcUh8VKc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDI uses an external box which is connected to the radio via the cable above (other connections are needed such as GMLAN). The box is only available in Australia. Instead of the EDI system, I am just using the RGB video input for my aftermarket sat nav. To access the RGB input, it first needs to be activated via programming on the radio. Once active, I can access the EDI input by pressing the CONFIG button for a few seconds and also from the RH top steering wheel button. See the link below for my write-up.

http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=42091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

So in theory could I use an android phone with a mini USB to RCA converter cable and then attach the video portion of that to the dvd input? I have made that same cable in the top of your picture which is what my rear view cam cable is plugged into currently. What happens to the audio portion of your phone signal using that setup that you have for the iphone?
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

xcidmigs wrote:So in theory could I use an android phone with a mini USB to RCA converter cable and then attach the video portion of that to the dvd input? I have made that same cable in the top of your picture which is what my rear view cam cable is plugged into currently. What happens to the audio portion of your phone signal using that setup that you have for the iphone?
If it's RCA video, you should be able to connect it to the DVD/Rear Aux input.

The DVD/rear aux audio wires go to the X3 plug in the main 40 pin harness. Harness pinout is here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Chris, thanks so much as always for your excellent input & guidance. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, all we need now is to see the final product with someone that runs OBDII gauges and links a phone :) Everything else is verified at this point.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.