Service procedure to reprogram the radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
JPPV

Re: Service procedure to reprogram the radio

Post by JPPV »

smwalker wrote:Just as an aside another reason the radio does not turn off is a faulty switch in the drivers door lock mechanism. The BCM keeps the RAP relay on till it receives a ground signal from the drivers door (only the drivers door) that it is open. When that switch goes bad no ground signal is sent so the BCM thinks the door is still closed and you are listening to the radio. Still shuts off after 20 minutes though. IF yours stays on longer than 20 minutes then maybe that is the head unit.
Thanks. I checked into that and other door switch related functions are working (although maybe more than one driver door switch exists). Also the radio stays on longer than 20 minutes.
Jason
2012 PPV Caprice (9C1)
1992 Volvo 740 wagon w LS1 V8 & T56 MT
JPPV

Re: Service procedure to reprogram the radio

Post by JPPV »

So I was able to get an audio system to USB connector cable (thank you smwalker!).

I repeated the programming procedure using the MDI cable and the GM Service Programming System (SPS). This time I loaded the required files onto a flash drive before starting the reprogramming process (as SPS indicated I should do), then I plugged the flash drive into the USB port of the cable connected to the vehicle's radio, performed the SPS audio system programming and then when the reprogramming of the radio was done it read the files from the flash drive and completed the process.

Warning - since my radio/HVAC was no longer functioning correctly/responding to the controls, my HVAC fan was running when ever the key was on so this drains the battery fairly quickly. Dual battery vehicles with two batteries in good condition will likely be ok but my vehicle is a single battery vehicle and I was quickly at or below 11.8 volts so I plugged a jump box into the vehicle to help maintain the system voltage during this fairly long reprogramming procedure. GM does not recommend that you use a battery charger while programming as the DC voltage from a battery charger is not a clean DC signal and tends to be very electrically noisy and can cause programming problems.

Now my radio and HVAC system work (although some of the radio keys don't work exactly like they used to so I am not sure if something is configured wrong).

So if you have the screen image I had on your radio it isn't bricked - you just have to have the correct tools to get it working again.

Also note that before fixing this the the screen on my radio would not shut off so the only way to turn it off was to pull the fuse in the trunk.

JPPV wrote:Any more information on when the radio is considered "bricked". I tried updating mine because it wouldn't turn off and that was one of the potential solutions in the service information. I used an MDI to reprogram the radio but I ignored the USB part since I don't have a USB cable. Now I have the following displayed on my screen and it won't go away (and doesn't turn off when the car turns off). I even tried unplugging the fuse for the radio and plugging it back in - came right back to the same screen.

Jason
2012 PPV Caprice (9C1)
1992 Volvo 740 wagon w LS1 V8 & T56 MT