Service procedure to reprogram the radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
91C02920

Re: Service procedure to reprogram the radio

Post by 91C02920 »

I just got done programing my radio this weekend following this procedure and a clone MDI.
It was pretty easy.
I chose a Standard Car, and at the end on the configuration steps I selected Yes for Reverse Camera, and RSE.
Bluetooth works, synced with my phone and all. Everything seems to be there.
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

Seems I can't get to the original doc used here, but I did have a local copy I've uploaded it here:
https://www.docdroid.net/kuhMqYt/1138-1 ... m.pdf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

ATTENTION MEMBERS....

I've been advised that following the procedures in this thread has bricked at least one member's radio. We here at NewCaprice.Com specifically disclaim any and all responsibility for damage caused to member vehicle(s) & equipment by utilizing the procedures in this thread. Verify the calibrations used are correct for your car BEFORE attempting any programming. USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JPPV

Post by JPPV »

Any more information on when the radio is considered "bricked". I tried updating mine because it wouldn't turn off and that was one of the potential solutions in the service information. I used an MDI to reprogram the radio but I ignored the USB part since I don't have a USB cable. Now I have the following displayed on my screen and it won't go away (and doesn't turn off when the car turns off). I even tried unplugging the fuse for the radio and plugging it back in - came right back to the same screen.

Incomplete Programming Screen
Incomplete Programming Screen
bricked screen.jpeg (9.07 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
Jason
2012 PPV Caprice (9C1)
1992 Volvo 740 wagon w LS1 V8 & T56 MT
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I have a USB cable I could send you if you can try the steps again. PM me your address.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
JPPV

Post by JPPV »

smwalker wrote:I have a USB cable I could send you if you can try the steps again. PM me your address.
Thanks. I'll buy one myself if I know what to buy. What kind of cable do I need?

Do you know the part number?

Is it one like this (copied from another forum post that didn't list the part number):
[img]
http://paceperformance.com/files/grrrr8 ... ble2sm.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/img]
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

The gray tipped part is correct but what you need atthe other end is a standard female USB slot.

You can see a diagram and part number in this posting:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=842&p=7633#p7633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Post this here for others for future reference. This is the summary of all the GM part numbers we have found for this application:

The 2 cable method will give you a Mini B Male plug at the end you would them have to go into a GM receptacle to get you to a standard USB plug. If you were planning on adding one anyway that would be the way to go.

Cord A - 92268102 (6 foot long) Or 92268103 (2.7 feet long)
Cord B 19303328 Or 22829189 (shorter) Or 20953897
GM receptacle 20944418 (single USB white) or 25832462 (USB and AUX in black face)

Or I could do you up an aftermarket USB cord that has a 90 degree bend in it (will mount in bottom of console bin) with receptacle 25832462 and an AUX IN harness for $70.00 total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks.

(Climbing up on the soapbox)

Well, I've been advised that info sourced directly from this thread has now locked up at least one additional radio (that we know of to date). :x :x For anyone that is thinking of trying to program your radio yourself, I can't caution you enough to stop, take a deep breath, and really consider what you are about to do before you start this process. Wrong version car selected, a step inadvertently skipped, blow one write to the radio through whatever means, and you are hosed. That's H - O - S - E - D !! You don't have good access to the complete code you need to re-flash this quirky radio if you mess up, meaning the silver box HAS to come out, be sent off (either to Chris White or any vendor of your choice with this capability), be reprogrammed, shipped back to you, and put back in your dash.

Do the right thing here, send it off to Chris or whoever you trust to program these units (JDM down under, etc etc..) the FIRST time and don't worry with it. We've had members buy new silver boxes with Nav, we've had members in the past have to re-purchase them through the dealer. It's not cheap, whatever you do. If your warranty is gone and your box malfunctions, you know it's got to come out of the car at some point. Why tempt the gods of the Outback to smite your car with the fickle finger of fate when you can get it done correctly, with a warranty, from a reputable source? I love to save money as much as the next person but there's just some things it doesn't pay to do yourself. Unless your wallet is bottomless or you have a secret desire for pain. Getting dealers to mess with your radio is a crapshoot with the odds loaded against you. They just LOVE to run their forklift under your dashboard and try to sell you a new unit. But, the problem is dealers frequently get it wrong - either in the diagnosis, the programming, the removal/install, or maybe all four if you're really lucky! :cry:

Let's call it what it is, for the 2011-13 cars we've been gifted (or cursed, your mileage may vary) with a quirky, one-off radio that was only in circulation for three years and only minimally in the US. I love full optioning as well as the next person, since GM/Holden so thoughtfully de-contented our setup for the police market and left us wanting. But, if you're going to go to the trouble to try to open up the optioning on the radio or attempt a self-repair via programming, unless you are 100% rock solid certain you are competent to execute this job in all manners, have the proper hardware and the proper code to put into the radio, please don't try this at home (yeah, I'm conjuring images up of the Mythbusters disclaimer here...).

One other thing. I've had folks suggest to me for the good of the plantation that I either limit or zap access to this technical data through our forum to protect other members. Not going to do it. What you post is your business except if it is either illegal on its face, enables illegal acts (example - like a step-by-step on how to odometer tamper your Caprice), or violates our topic guidelines/system policies. For example, just because someone posts information in an on-line forum on how to root your Android smartphone doesn't mean you necessarily have the core competency to work in the root correctly and not mess something up. If you try it, the onus is on you to get it right. However if you're working off bad tech info and blow up your phone, then the OP should be called out & taken to task. If you see something on here that is positively BS, say something and help your fellow members out. Maybe you'll save someone some money (or a whole bunch of money!!). Of course, it goes without saying this depends on the ability of folks to take good advice. Again, your mileage may vary.

So let it be said, so let it be written. (Climbing down off soapbox)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Just as an aside another reason the radio does not turn off is a faulty switch in the drivers door lock mechanism. The BCM keeps the RAP relay on till it receives a ground signal from the drivers door (only the drivers door) that it is open. When that switch goes bad no ground signal is sent so the BCM thinks the door is still closed and you are listening to the radio. Still shuts off after 20 minutes though. IF yours stays on longer than 20 minutes then maybe that is the head unit.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White