Holden WM maplight & harness

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Holden WM maplight & harness

Post by Navy Lifer »

A while back, I had inquired of C.P. about a better light setup in the overhead console. Looking at some photos of Holdens, I had noticed a version with individual reflector "spots" and individual control switches for both front positions. C.P. identified the the unit, but it was pretty pricey--but not much later, he comes to me to let me know he had found one, WITH harness, on Aussie ebay.

Deal! Took a while, but that's another story about the ebay seller. No matter, it finally arrived today!

I'm not sure, but I think G8 may have used this style of lights, but, as far as I know, not in the light urban color to match our overhead trim. I also will assume that this light design was not part of PPV for cost control, as well as the need to preserve or control the "all dark" interior feature for a car actually being used for police work.

Thanks, C.P.!!!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Holden WM maplight & harness

Post by elc32955 »

Bill,

Don't mean to be a naysayer, but before you install I would check to make sure the courtesy lights will actually work by the switches, you may find it takes a BCM update (yeah, I know, bad words!) to make everything work.

On some recent model cars (including my wife's old 2006 Pontiac G6), the switches are actually hooked to the BCM, which will send out the voltage down the correct pair to turn the light on or off. I found this out trying to look into the overhead for a 12V source to run a compass and auto-dim Gentex mirror. I finally came up with a neat solution to run my center mirror... I tapped into the power that supplied the driver's sun visor mirror lights. On the G6, there was a timer that activated with key-off in case any lights were inadvertently left on to prevent battery drain. So, the mirror and compass would stay alive after key-off by like 10 or 15 mins, the BCM would then detect what it thought was a light that was left on, as it saw current draw and didn't know the difference between a mirror and the sun visor lamps. It would then kill power to the circuit until next key cycle.

That's one reason I never pursued the light upgrade for my car is my bad experience with the G6. Let us know how you make out.....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Aren't you just a dark cloud on this nice, sunny, Mother's Day!!! :P
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I like the map lights, I think they would be very handy to have, as long as it doesn't require an act of congress to get them to work.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Looks good so far! Mine is the same except doesn't have the sunglasses holder, having a rotary sunroof controller instead.

I like to think it wouldn't be rocket science to make map lights work even if it is by some sort of direct wiring method. ;)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Done, looks good, works great. The lamp unit contains its own circuit board that permits the individual map "spot" lights to function properly, so there's no required programming over & above what the current PPV dome lamp control scheme interface to BCM is.

New SS appears to use the same unit, in proper neutral/light urban color, so it will be available in US eventually, as well as from Oz currently.

The one issue will be the connector to the headliner harness, which is a 6-way piece, where the PPV is a 4-way piece--the used lamp unit I purchased (from CP) came with the harness, fortunately.

I'm not certain what the need for the extra 2 wires (6-pin vs 4-pin connectors) is as far as proper lamp function, honestly...that's a question for Scott Williams, who made the harness mods and did the install.

To complicate matters, the harness itself is not a separate service part, and only comes with a replacement headliner...so it will possibly become a search for the "correct" connector and pins to build compatible connectors and harness connections for any who may want to do this. Some wrecked Chevy SS cars will be out there eventually, but that's not the most effective way to go at this.

It may be that the same lamp unit was used in G8 (with the individual front spot/map lamps) so the possibility exists another ready source is out there to scavenge the headliner harness.

No pictures at the moment, but I will provide once back home....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CP has informed me that he may have a line through e-bay on another (used) map light/sunglass holder overhead console like mine. It will be black rather than light urban. If you really had to, the plastic parts could be re-colored to match, but the buttons would probably still be black. No idea what the price to get it from CP will be.

A consolidated shipment is being put together that will allow considerable shipping cost savings--if you may want this part, let CP know, and if he can get it, it could be sent in the combined shipment, which will be coming to Georgia. The buyer would pay Scott Walker (novadeuce) separately for transportation from Australia to your delivery point.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Update on the maplight-style overhead lamp CP now has available:

This item did not make it into the shipment currently inbound from Australia to Scott Walker in Georgia

It is from a 2011 VE Commodore, purchased on ebay Australia

Includes the harness with 6-pin connector - very helpful to have

It is black, and has a couple of minor cosmetic issues, which should be correctable

I do think it would be possible to transfer the essential lamp module from this part to your stock PPV overhead console base. The buttons will be black instead of the neutral color.

Contact CP directly if you are interested.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

With the release of the 2014 Chevy SS sedan, it is now possible to get a direct-replacement map/spotlamp style overhead console to backfit into the PPV, rather than having to bring in a Holden part or create something using a G8 sunroof-style overhead console.

The SS console is finished in "titanium" rather than light urban or neutral/sand - really, the difference is nearly unnoticeable--or the part can be painted to match. You can check out an SS for yourself and compare the interior plastic & headliner fabric colors to see what I'm saying.

The front console, with 2 independent map/spot lamps and swing-down glasses holder, is PN 92272282

CATEGORY: Dome/Courtesy Lamp (front)
List Price: $342.46
Dealer Cost: $205.48

The rear console, with 2 independent map/spot lamps, is PN 92272280

CATEGORY: Dome/Courtesy Lamp (rear)
List Price: $249.58
Dealer Cost: $149.75

The unknown in this installation remains the availability of the correct 6-pin connector to mate with the connector on the console itself. PPV uses a 4-pin connector, so it will be a matter of searching for this connector to get power into the lights without doing some sort of connector change--the space available almost dictates using the type of connector called for, but someone could probably cut off the existing connector and make up a new connection & a pigtail harness interface 6-wire setup.

As mentioned before, there is a harness that is probably only available as part of the SS headliner, in this case, but now that parts info has been released for this new car, I will conduct research and see if there MAY be something available. Worst case would be to make something.

The option, short of that, is to wait for some SS wrecks to reach dismantling/recycling, to see what can be scavenged, or to look for wrecked G8's with factory sunroof, to get the connector & harness.
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

I show the Molex 4 pin connector below for the Caprice. Can't verify it is correct but seems to be available.

2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune