Holden WM maplight & harness

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Holden WM maplight & harness

Post by Navy Lifer »

We would be looking for the 6-pin version, as used on 2014 SS, if you can locate it.

Thanks for the info!
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

Not sure what is on the SS. Checked the one on my G8 and it is a 6 pin version of the 4 pin Caprice connector.

Should be Molex number 39-01-2065 for the 6 pin.

2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

That's it...it would be necessary to build the connector and a pigtail, part of which will replace the existing 4-pin harness. Are both the male and female ends of that connector available? If so, it would then be possible to make an 4-pin to 6-pin adapter/jumper harness to use the existing 4-pin connector on the headliner harness--instead of a pigtail harness, and then run only 2 extra wires to the 6-pin connector--assuming they have to be used--(don't have the circuit info). That way, nothing would have to be cut, but it might be necessary to move some of the wire positions in their cavities between the 2 ends of the adapter.

That's a G8 sunroof overhead console, right?
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

Yes G8 sunroof overhead console pictured.

I am not sure if the male connector is available. You can search on the Molex site for the number I listed and see if they show the mating connector. I don't have the circuit info either for the 6 pin. CP may be able to help on this one.
2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

BlackGT5 wrote: I don't have the circuit info either for the 6 pin. CP may be able to help on this one.
http://www.grrrr8.net/crazypaul/2009HoldenPinouts.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pin-outs.
Pages 83 to 87 are Dome Lamps.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

EDIT to my Update: When I wrote this I assumed 2011-2017 were all the same with regard to headliner wiring. Have found out it changed a bit in 2014. IF you are doing any changes to a 2014+ please post relevant details or start a new thread, I will link to it.

Updating this long lost thread with some new info and a new approach.

Having my headliner out did some research on adding this map light dome light front and rear. What I found was needed was 2 circuits that are not present on our factory 4 pin plug.

In the factory 4 pin plug you got 4 wires. BlackGT5 posted the pinout and what those 4 wires do is basically this:
Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2. Tell BCM to Turn on/Turn off light
Pin 3. Tell the BCM not to turn on the dome light with the doors open.
Pin 4. 12 Volt power for bulbs (turns on rear light as well) from the BCM

What it is missing is two circuits that are needed when you add map lights. One circuit you need because after all map lights will be on when the doors are closed and you may only want to have one on not all of them in the car. So a separate 12 volt signal is needed that is not controlled by the BCM. This one as you can see in the pinout for the 6 pin connector is an orange wire circuit. This is the one that shuts off 20 minutes after you shut off the car so as to not kill the battery.

The second one is needed to light up the LED's in the buttons of the map lights so you can find them in the dark. This is called the LED back-light dimming control. Luckily it is available throughout the car but not in the headliner. But it is present at the headliner plug in the dash just no wire going up into the headliner. So we got to add that.

SO here is the 6 pin pinout:

So as mentioned before the connector number is a Molex Part number: 39-01-2065
The terminals for the connector are part number: 39-00-0039 - 20 AWG Terminals
You would need 2 for the front and 2 for the rear if you are adding rear map light assembly.

The tool to remove the terminals is about $20 - TOOL HAND EXTRACTION MINI-FIT JR - 0011030044

So the good news is that we already have the orange wire circuit in the headliner. It is used for the ticket light. If you do not have a ticket light, like me, don't worry you still got the wiring in the headliner. IF you have and want to keep the ticket light you can still tap into the wire with a cut and splice or a series of connectors from Delphi below:

12047662 Delphi 2 position black connector - 150 series female
12047664 Delphi Secondary Terminal Lock Female
12047767 Delphi Terminal Female 150 Series

12047663 Delphi 2 Position Black COnnector - 150 series Male
12047665 Delphi SEcondary Terminal Lock Male
12047581 Delphi Terminal MALE 150 series

What I did at the same time using these delphi connectors was run a circuit to each side of the vehicle where the sun visors mount. If you want to add lighted vanity mirrors these are the connectors that also match up with the factory lighted sunshade connectors.

Getting the LED backlight control circuit up to the headliner will be the biggest challenge. Not impossible and of course so much easier if you happen to have the headliner out already.

At the corner of the top of the dash on the drivers side is the plug for the headliner (2011-2013 only). Getting to it is hard. Because it's at the base of the windshield and the cover over it is a pisser. But once you get to it you will notice there are 9 wires in the plug but 10 pins in the connector. The one that is missing, yup you guessed it, LED backlight control. So we just need a terminal to install right? Yes but here is a shortcut. IN the headliner there is a secondary orage wire that about half way up the pillar ends in a connector and is not connected to anything. I believe that is the wire for the lighted sunvisors (EDIT: no not sun-visors but for the spotlights. I had a 9C3 without spotlights so the wire was not used. You 9C1 guys will probably have a cut wire going to that connector if you have removed your spotlights.). So this means that connection is not needed in the headliner harness so you can take it out of that connector cavity and use it for the LED back light control. Splice on a long wire and send it up right next to the headliner harness into the headliner and to the front and rear map light locations.

Here is the pinout for the headliner plug at the base of the dash X212
For adding a female terminal and wire here is the info.
The plug is a AMP/TE MCP2.8 series connector. It uses MCP 2.8 seriers terminals.
For a 18 or 20 AWG wire I would use terminal 1-968849-3

One side uses Release Tool: J-38125-36

Wiring diagram for the spotlight circuit. says it is in cavity 5 of X212 but the pinout does not agree.
Last edited by smwalker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Also another note to add. I went and looked up the pin-out for the 2014 SS and I saw the familiar 6 cavity connector but I noticed the part number was different. Seems they stayed with a 6 cavity plug but went with Yazaki connector at some point. I would say after the VE/VF split but I am not sure. SO maybe our 2014 guys might have the Yazaki connector and the 2011-13 have the Molex. ANyone with a 2014 can you confirm?

Also Holmart lists one dome light assembly as a "police Pack" and the difference is it has an extra unlabeled button on it.

Like so: Image

As opposed to this one that has a labeled button on it that looks to be a Sunroof opening? Or some kind of shade? I would say sunroof but thought the sunroofs were operated by a large circular button taking the space of the sun glass holder?

Image Image

BTW both of these assemblies with the extra button use a 10 cavity molex plug to account for the extra wires.

On the police pack it lists the extra wires the the plug gets as "Surveillance Mode Control Signal" and " Battery Positive voltage" We have the Surveillance Mode Control Signal in our police harnesses I believe it it he white with red strip wire. But I did not have it in my headliner harness. Meaning I do not think they ever intended to have the Surveillance Mode Control Signal in the headliner of US cars rather just a separate button you could install in the equipment center console. Or am I wrong? Anyone have these extra button dome lamps in their US cars?
Last edited by smwalker on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Need to mention if you are going to change over your 4 pin to a 6 pin you need a special terminal extraction tool for molex connectors and they cost about $25.00. Using just a pick for this will ruin the terminal as there are 2 prongs to release the terminal and they both need to be pressed in at the same time to remove.. If you wanted to just put all new terminals on the wires you could just lop them all off along witht he 4 cavity plug and install all new terminals that would work to. But I have the tool, hit my up if you want to borrow it.

Here is the tool inserted:

Here is the final product:

I combined two wires in the LED backlight terminal to send one back to the rear map light because that needed LED backlight power as well. BUt the orange wire came from the ticket light circuit already in the headliner.

Here is the rear dome/map plug. Bottom two wires stay in the factory position just the orange and LED wires are added to the top row.

Finished product in black:

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

If you happen to have your car side 4 cavity plug hacked out by some gung ho police decontenter the part number for that connector seems to be Molex 39012045

The same terminals mentioned above will work with it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the SS sunroof buttons are front to back rockers , if i remember my 14 over head is only a 4 pin , and the SS was 6 for the lights

and same with the rear light , when switching from the single element light , to the SS version with the spot/map lights

its been a while since i swapped the rear , which i currently do not have the spot/map lights working on yet
Attachments
ss overhead.jpg
ss overhead.jpg (181.53 KiB) Viewed 10061 times