Aftermarket Double Din Stereo

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ejf2461

Aftermarket Double Din Stereo

Post by ejf2461 »

I just bought a 2013 Caprice 9C1 V8 and want to either upgrade the factory stereo to accept Bluetooth Streaming, SAT Radio & Back Up Camera or replace with a Kenwood Navigation unit that has all those features & more. Has anyone installed and aftermarket stereo and are there any problems they encountered? Thanks a bunch.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
bsparks72

Re: Aftermarket Double Din Stereo

Post by bsparks72 »

I don't think it will be easy to replace the factory radio. The screen also interfaces with your HVAC, and the actual radio is its own box. You also have the steering wheel controls to contend with. You're going to be better off working with the factory radio, I believe. Might look around the G8 world and see what they've done.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Nope. Nothing out there right now in a double DIN form factor to go in the same place as the Holden iQ. You're 99.9% stuck with enhancing the factory stereo. If you really want a double-DIN unit however, check the police equipment section for the radio mounting solution I posted for the 2011 Caprice. You'd have to disable your knee airbags and lose your glove box, but you might be able to fit a radio like that. If you were really, really determined and didn't mind chopping your passenger seat room you could probably get a double-din plate and bypass the speakers from the factory unit to the new double-DIN unit. In theory.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

I am almost done with this factory stereo! Its basically a Unicorn. So rare very few people can work on it and know how to install extras like SAT Radio, Back Up Camera, Aftermarket Amplifier, Navigation & Ipod Streaming. I don't wrench on things myself and even when I reached on to a GM Factory Stereo Guru who Works for Alpine and help design the X110 stereo for the Chevrolet Silverado he stated the Chevrolet Caprice PPV was designed to be just a low level stereo for a police agency. I has less than 5 watts per channel and is very difficult to add aftermarket accessories. I asked him if he could design an Alpine unit like the X110 but for a Caprice. His reply was they make almost a million Silverados per year and they have only made 15k Caprices in the last 6 model years so NO!

So I think what I am going to do since I have already ordered a 24" Havis Shield Console is install a Kenwood Excelon DNN992 which has Garmin Navigation, Sirius/XM SAT Radio, 2 Back Up Cameras, Wifi, Apple & Android Car Play and Hands free Calling. I would install it in the console which would be easier than the stock since I will have laptop mounted inside. It also will integrate with my steering wheel controls. If I go this route I will just use the factory head unit to control the heat & ac. Ill keep you posted!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
fireeatr

Post by fireeatr »

ejf2461, I happened to come across your thread which is about 6 months old but I want to know how you made out with your radio install? I too have a 13 caprice.

Thanks,
Deron