Question for those that have the Chris White magic done

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
mercialogo

Question for those that have the Chris White magic done

Post by mercialogo »

I am thinking about hooking up an iphone for nav. My question is, can i play video files on the radio screen from the iphone?. I am also thinking about running one of those wifi media storage devcies. Again i would want to view the video on the radio screen but would be connecting to the wifi storage device from the phone. Can this be done?
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
GTPprix

Re: Question for those that have the Chris White magic done

Post by GTPprix »

mercialogo wrote:I am thinking about hooking up an iphone for nav. My question is, can i play video files on the radio screen from the iphone?. I am also thinking about running one of those wifi media storage devcies. Again i would want to view the video on the radio screen but would be connecting to the wifi storage device from the phone. Can this be done?
Yes you'd just use the aux/dvd input that is unlocked for in motion viewing.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

So cant be done via the usb or bluetooth?. I take it, i would have to have a special adapter to hook the iphone to the video port.
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

The way I have been doing it for some folks on the board here is giving them a set of standard RCA input plugs hooked up to the Video Input spots on the radio connector. You then get a special cord from apple or for an android that fits whatever phone you have that outputs in three RCA connections and just plug into your Caprice.

SO this is one spot you could have them in the car:

Then use something like this to plug into them depending on what works with your phone:

Not seeing options for a lighthning connection to RCA outputs. If the video output moved to the headphone jack may have to find a cord that converts the headphone jack to RCA outputs. Like:

THis one can also be used for androids as well.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Ah. Got it. And thank you. 1 more question. Have you used any kind of video switcher device. So far i am wanting 3 devices. But we only have 2 ports. 1. Back up cam. Port1. 2 feed from a dash cam 3. Feed from iphone. So my thought is to put a video swithcher of some sort. Have you put anything like that together? If so, what switcher did you use?
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

mercialogo wrote:I am thinking about hooking up an iphone for nav. My question is, can i play video files on the radio screen from the iphone?. I am also thinking about running one of those wifi media storage devcies. Again i would want to view the video on the radio screen but would be connecting to the wifi storage device from the phone. Can this be done?
My 2 cents... I thought about setting something up to watch video from my iphone, then decided it was wasted $ because the iphone screen is almost the size of the radio screen: what's the point.

Connecting a media player up would be neat, but my kids can't see the screen from the back seat. Then I thought about getting some headrests with screens for the kiddos and hooking all three up to a media box. Again, the cost makes it prohibitive. I can buy each kid an ipad and a set of earbuds.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

What WOULD be cool, though, would be to pipe the screen from your smart device to the radio screen, and run something like the Torque-app with the blue-tooth OBDII connector, and run 'virtual gauges' on that screen.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?