No Rear Speaker Sound on 2013 Caprice SOLVED!

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ejf2461

No Rear Speaker Sound on 2013 Caprice SOLVED!

Post by ejf2461 »

If you have a 2013 Caprice you need to read this so you dont waste alot of time and money like i did. My 2013 Caprice was taken to my local Chevy dealer for no sound coming from my rear speakers. After having all the wiring looked at $550 and sending the unit to Chris White to have it programmed for $250+$81 Shipping I now learned that my Head Unit does not have rear speaker finals on it. Also it does not have the rear video input to install the rear view camera. I emailed White Audio & Media to ask about this and to see if they had a 2012 Caprice Radio and got a nasty email saying that if I emailed them again during non-business hours my email would be blocked. I guess after you spend $445 for a program job on your Radio & BCM your not to contact them again. For someone who has dealt with as many Caprice Radios as they have it would of been nice to know before I wasted money on a radio with only front speakers. Also White advised I could solder on the video input but would allow me to pay him to do it. So I can either take my car to a high end stereo shop and have an aftermarket amplifier installed using a line level adapter or similar to take car of the rear speaker issue and then find someone who knows how to solder some rca's on the board so I can get the rear camera installed. What a mess!
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: No Rear Speaker Sound on 2013 Caprice SOLVED!

Post by smwalker »

Damn man, sorry you had to go through all that but thanks so much for the information. To Chris Whites defense I think they are just starting to see 2013 radios as all they have gotten to date are 11 and 12s. WHo would have known GM wold scale back the radios so much as to remove channels of audio. just amazing.

Hope this will help other owners of 13's in the future. I think the best option would be to get a 11 or 12 silver box if you got a 13.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

Chris stated that he had seen a few that didn't have the video input and posted pics of where to solder the 21 pin video input. I don't have a problem with him personally and he has alot of talent to do what he does to these radios. He wouldn't know about the rear speaker finals not being on the board unless he opened up the radio like the dealer did today. I can forgive him for that. But he knows exactly what needs to be done for the rear video input to make it work and could charge people who send their 2013 radios in to fix this issue. Finding someone who understands this car I am learning is not easy. Then the email about business hours didn't help at all.Maybe now he will advise people when they send him an inquiry about their 2013 radios that they wont have rear video or rear speakers before the spend the bucks on the programming.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Programming radios is a word apart from digging into the boards and soldering connections on. I can understand why he would not want to offer that service. If he does in the future great but without a 4 channel radio those things become pretty useless as you have found out. Maybe be better mod will be to send it to someone that does convert the 2013 silver box to a 4 channel high voltage line out unit (for use with external amp) and at the same time giving you 2 RCA's for video input so no special connectors are required.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

ejf2461 wrote: got a nasty email saying that if I emailed them again during non-business hours my email would be blocked. I guess after you spend $445 for a program job on your Radio & BCM your not to contact them again.
Wow just wow. We have bent over BACKWARDS to help you and the dealership that is pretty helpless in this endeavor. I'm pretty sure yours was the radio the dealership bricked, bent the USB port pins trying God knows what and then tried to sell you a G8 radio; all of this we fixed on the house. THEN I moved a bunch of other customers around to accommodate you just randomly shipping the unit in without an order so we could schedule it like we normally do.

The "nasty" message you referred to is our auto responder that lets you know that per the FIRST auto responder and the website we are ONLY open on the weekends and if you rapid fire off a bunch of emails to us while we are closed it will block you as spam which is what you got today. I have only seen a handful of 2013 radios and this is the first instance that I'm aware of with the audio issue so I've been trying to help your dealer while they work on it (for free and outside of our business hours).

That said here is the threat you gave us today (and our auto responder)

"What? When r you business hours? I see after you get someone money you don't want to talk to them. I will let other on the Forum know this!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2016, at 12:20 PM, WAMS Sales <sales@whiteautoandmedia (no spam)> wrote:

AUTO REPLY: HI! It looks like you are continually trying to contact us outside of business hours. If you continue to do this our server will deem your email spam and block you from contacting us. Please contact us during the business hours listed on our website; thank you!"

Now that we got that out of the way, here is why your dealership knew to look at the radio. Oh thats right because we were helping them directly yet again outside of our business hours like we have been doing all along for you:

"On Apr 5, 2016, at 12:25 PM, WAMS Sales <sales@nospam.com> wrote:

Then its one of two things if you are 100% sure on the wiring/speaker setup.

1. 2013 Radios may have had the connector removed AND the finals/outputs from the board
2. The radio is shot from being run without speakers for so long it blew the finals.

White Automotive & Media Services
sales@whiteautoandmedia.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any accompanying data are
confidential, and intended only for the named recipient(s). You are hereby notified that the dissemination,
distribution, and or copying of this message and any information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please
notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your
computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately

Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 10:19 AM
To: WAMS Sales
Subject: White Auto and Media Services: 2013 CAPRICE RADIO

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from:
JUSTIN ALBEA <redacted>

Hello,
I have a customer that had sent in to be programmed. The rear audio is still not working. The speakers are connected at the rear doors and they ohm correctly when testing them at the connector at the radio, but still no audio is coming from the rear. Is there something that we need to do? We got the keyless entry working fine, but still no luck with the radio.

Thanks
Justin Albea
Stanley Chevrolet"

Now as far as the comments go regarding I know exactly what to do to solder inputs in, you are correct I do. What I don't have is time to do it nor at a price anyone would pay for me to make time currently; I have more work than I can handle.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

This might be a redundant post as I responded half an hour ago, but it didn't show up.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have gotten that automatic email response also. I was put off, at first. Having been in the same spot as WAM, providing support on the internet, I needed to emphasize my availability and limits. For me, it made sense to consolidate emails and calls to within a manageable window.
WAM provides our group and other enthusiast groups with a unique service. But, like WAM my automotive contributions were secondary to my real job.
A lot of us here are trying new and different things. Not being happy with the status quo of these powerful, base optioned Caprices we are creating our own niche aftermarket by sharing our ideas and research.
In regards to the evolution of the Caprice radio, in 2012 we found that there were several options that were left turned off. I test drove a few GM demos that had rear camera, a microphone for Bluetooth, etc. But GM wasn't enabling these features. We have seen an evolution with door panels without speaker grills but there were speakers behind the panel. Maybe GM was phasing out that feature, but was still installing inventory on hand. The radio is just one area that we are all learning about. GM doesn't really share everything that they are adding or deleting. We are the lucky pioneers for this particular car.
I have experienced hiccups, disappointment and frustration trying to make changes to all of my cars that I have owned. I have come to accept that this will happen. Patience has it's place, especially in our niche market.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

This may be redundant as I posted in another post. I am not convinced that the 2013 radio is missing the output finals as mine is getting sound. Its just not a lot of sound. I have turned the balance\fader to the rear and I have to turn the volume all of the way up before I get much sound. So there is output. I am not a radio guy so I am stumped at this point. I will be taking it into a radio guy to see what if anything can be done about this.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey folks.... I saw this thread late and just finished reading it over. We haven't had need to discuss this category of situation on the forum before so I'm going to give both some general thoughts & specifics here.

1) Chris has repeatedly stated in a number of posts, in a number of different ways, and on multiple forums and his website that he only provides services during certain days & hours and expects contact through his website for acting on & responding to EMAIL's. If you want his services (which is totally elective on each forum member's part), please abide by his rules. Do NOT expect any service outside these hours & terms from someone that has a day job (unless you have a special arrangement negotiated). Chris provides a superlative service to this community and we are darned lucky to have a person of his caliber & expertise here.

Now, with that said, Chris only routinely performs certain services on these radios - which are clearly delineated (again, unless you've made special arrangement with him in advance). You also have companies like JHP that will sell a opened-up silver box with all features enabled with a money-back guarantee, but you have to pay to play. Just like engine mods or the such. Demand services are exactly that - demand services. You say you want "X" widget programmed & enabled, it's programmed and returned to you on your dime. This is different then pulling up to a stereo shop or a dealer and saying "My radio doesn't work, diagnose and fix it". We don't have a full service shop to my knowledge in the US that knows all the in's and out's of the iQ. Most of the time dealers are not very helpful as they very rarely see these units, much less work on them when they misbehave. Dealers unfortunately specialize in the forklift principle of maintenance when it comes to iQ's based on anecdotal evidence. SO.... going in to have ANY service on these radios done you need to be prepared for a non-optimal outcome. This occasionally does happen, everyone's best efforts notwithstanding. EJF, you were darned lucky to get the level of support from a corporate engineer that you described. Rare in my experience with these cars!

2) The situation with the 2013 Holden iQ units is unfortunate, but we know that GM took measures to alter & "de-content" these radios from the Australian stock versions in addition to their notorious nickel-dime cost saving measures (missing connectors anyone??). GM will unfortunately not engage in dialogue with the US civilian market relative to exactly what was done to these units. If you don't believe me, trying calling GM Fleet for support with your VIN in hand and see how far you get.

2011 and 2012 radios appear to be unaffected hardware-wise, just software restricted. In our collective experiences so far. If you've got a 2013 car with a misbehaving stereo, it seems like a crapshoot as to whether your hardware is or is not intact, and the solution here might be to source more 2011 or 2012 units with a known hardware level. EBAY (both US and AUS), LKQ, Car-part.com, CP, the occasional private sale, we've got multiple channels open to us. Even buying a new radio through a dealer could be possible as long as you spec a 2011 or 2012 MY unit ONLY, although I don't know what inventory level is left of the earlier units. Maybe someone like Dal could do a query for us or some quick research in the GM parts system. JHP's solutions relative to the iQ are pretty much for folks that don't care about cost.

3) We all purchased these cars with the conscious knowledge that certain things on ex-cop cars can be a bear to upfit/refit. Collectively everyone here will try to help someone else in need. Within reason. However, angst & vitriol through forum flaming rarely gets anyone anywhere except for a lot more heartache. If you have a business dispute, try to resolve it off-line with the company or individual(s) involved first (while obeying their rules for contact of course) before taking it to the general population.

As a general statement of forum policy - I do realize there are two sides to every story. However if negativity gets out of hand or into the area of defamation, either myself or the other moderators will resolve the issues pertinent to the forum. Be warned that our solution(s) may not be well received by parties involved. In a business consumer dispute, be factual, logical, and leave the vitriol at the door before you post.

Mercialogo, let us know what you find out.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Ok after Much Discussion with my radio guy I ended getting an Alpine 180watt power pack amp. We took the two front channels and split them to the 4 speakers. I also had him wire up for a amp and subs for the back but i have not decided what I will do for subs yet. I traded oit the OEM speakers for some 45 watt 90 peak Rockford Fosgate. I moved the rears lower in the door. I know it looks 80's in the back with the speaker grills, but it already sounds alot better. I am not an audiophile so i just needed a small bit of better toons. There were some other possibilities to modify the radio, but would be wayyy to costly.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV