Interior Dome Lights and AUX connection Question

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Zeos

Interior Dome Lights and AUX connection Question

Post by Zeos »

So my 2012 detectives car that I just picked up this weekend has the AUX disabled in the radio which is super unfortunate. Can anyone tell me if the hardware is still in there and it is just disabled? Is there an "easy / cheap" way to add an aux input to the stock radio?

My interior domes work with the button in front but the other accompanying button that shows "Doors" does nothing. Is there something I am missing to get the interior lights to work with the doors or is it possible it was disabled more permanently by the Maryland PD?
xcidmigs

Re: Interior Dome Lights and AUX connection Question

Post by xcidmigs »

sadly there is not, you have to do the radio box removal and have it reprogrammed....
Search the threads in that section.... big $$$ and mucho time.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats the only place that does it currently, but great CS and most people get around a week turnaround time.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Zeos wrote:So my 2012 detectives car that I just picked up this weekend has the AUX disabled in the radio which is super unfortunate. Can anyone tell me if the hardware is still in there and it is just disabled? Is there an "easy / cheap" way to add an aux input to the stock radio?

My interior domes work with the button in front but the other accompanying button that shows "Doors" does nothing. Is there something I am missing to get the interior lights to work with the doors or is it possible it was disabled more permanently by the Maryland PD?
On the AUX IN as far as I can tell no one has ever tried to hook up a correct GM AUX IN to the radio and test it before they have had Chris White program it. I have personally tried the USB plug on an un-programed Caprice to see if the factory radio just might "wake up" and recognize it. It did not. I am sure that would be the same case with the AUX IN but I cannot say for sure. Maybe Chris could answer, but then he wants to sell a programming service so not sure he has ever tested it either.

If you would like to be the first to test it see the instructions here (Link - How to make a AUX IN cord) on how to make up a cord and get a GM Connector. You could hook it up and try. Then even if it did not work you would already have your cords ready to go after you get Chris to program it. I am happy to make up a cord for you if you would like, I have the materials on hand. Let me now.

On your Dome light there is a circuit in the police harness to "stealth" out the interior lights. First thing I would do is take off your lower passenger side foot-well kick panel and unplug the 2-3 police harnesses in there and see if any options are brought back to factory operation. If they still do not work then factory wires may have been cut along the way.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

smwalker wrote:.
Thanks smwalker. I guess the floor panel is where I start my journey.

Side note. I have a problem where my right rear taillamp won't do brake or blinker. It does the standard driving light part of the bulb just fine just not the bright bit. I changed the bulb and checked the wire and there is no power and I can't find any relay or fuse for that anywhere in the manual. Any help is appreciated.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Zeos wrote:
smwalker wrote:.

Side note. I have a problem where my right rear taillamp won't do brake or blinker. It does the standard driving light part of the bulb just fine just not the bright bit. I changed the bulb and checked the wire and there is no power and I can't find any relay or fuse for that anywhere in the manual. Any help is appreciated.
I assumed you checked it with a test light or Multi-meter yes?

On the passenger side remove the side panel of the trunk and look for the white connector sort of in the trunk hinge area. Unplug and test the terminals in the connector coming from the back seat area on the Dark green wire. Turn on your hazards you should get a 12 volt blinking on that dark green wire.

Look for white connector in this area of trunk, passenger side. Here it is unplugged:

The dark green is your turn signal, light blue brake light (its the same wire for both taillights so that is a mystery why only one of yours is working. It probably splits off to two wires after that plug. And the yellow is the turn signal for the left side. With hazards on that should be blinking as well.

Passenger Taillight Connector for your reference.

If you have no power at the inboard connector we will have to venture further into the interior to trace. But the fact that you got brake light power to one side indicates that there should be power at the light blue wire at the inboard connector.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

smwalker wrote:...
Wow, excellent reply. I will give this a run down first thing tomorrow. It is too dark to start digging around in the trunk tonight. If it turns out the fault is further up I am sure it will be "fun" checking further up.

For my records/curiosity do you know what if any fuse/relay the brakes and blinkers use. I assume it has one somewhere but I can't find any diagram or panel that says where it is to even check.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Your issue has to be somewhere inside the harness after connection J408. Because if the left and third brake light is working the BCM is sending the signal. Has to be a break after J408. Highlighted in blue below:

Diagrams show J408 (that is probably just a splice connection rather than an actual connector in inside the harness) goes up the back wall of the trunk:

Oh BTW the connector I want you to check for power is X404 in the picture above.

Strip back the tape on the harness and I bet you will find a cut of the Light Blue and Dark Green wire Somewhere.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

FYI, The BCM turn signal circuits are also used for the stop lights also. The light blue stop light circuit in the female body harness does not continue into the tail lamp male connector. See this link from my factory LED tail lamp install. The stop light circuit was active in my car before the swap. It still needed to be active to send power to the Center High Mount stop light. The connector that split the circuit to the third/center stop light is behind the dash, above the BCM.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Oh Good Call Maurice so since everything is run through the turn signal wire that is the important one to check, So the Dark Green (right side) in this case. That could be effected by a fuse. Looks to be fuse #6 in the instrument panel fuse block.

Interesting thing on the left side front and rear turn signal share a fuse #8 but on the right they are split up front and back #5 and #6.

Hope that's it as that is an easy fix. As long as that fixes it.
Last edited by smwalker on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

And thumbs up to Steve for all of his access to diagrams and willingness to share! Teamwork!!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof