Programming a new key

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
kevink

Programming a new key

Post by kevink »

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting a new key for my 2011 9C3 and wondering if anyone knows how to program it. I would rather do it myself if possible. Can I do it or does the dealer have to do it?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
sardillim

Re: Programming a new key

Post by sardillim »

go through the menu on the left side of the steering wheel its in there somewhere
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

There are actually 2 things you need to program with a new key.

The Immobilizer and the key-less entry

Adding Keys
Important:
To initiate, this procedures requires that a learned master key be available.
A total of 10 keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning OFF the ignition, insert the key to be learned and turn ON the ignition. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

4. Perform the keyless entry transmitter learn procedure.

Keyless entry transmitter programing:

THe service manual just shows how to do it using the tech2.
The owners manual just says follow steps in DIC to program keyless entry.

Then found this warning that may make things difficult if you got the wrong type of key:
A police department may inquire about how to add keys to their PPV fleet.

The Caprice has different key blanks, regular unique production key (RPO AX2, part #19205407 or 92193937) and a fleet key (RPO AU7/6E3 and AU7/6E4, part #19205408, 19205409, 19205419, 19205420 and 92247727). Each key type has specific data programmed into it at the time of manufacture. This is very important when adding new keys to the vehicle as it may affect programming. Starting the week of February 11, 2013, pre-cut keys will have a white dot added to the fleet key and a yellow dot added to the regular key to aid in identification (Lock cylinder kits with keys included WILL NOT be marked with dots).
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Let me jump in on this thread for a moment. My car came with two identical RKE keys from the factory. Are they both considered "master keys" ? And if not, how do I know which one is the master?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea not to sure Tom. I think they just use the term 'Master" to differentiate it from Valet keys. In other words if all you had left was a valet key you could not program a new key. When programming with a tech 2 you can make a key a valet key or a master key. Not sure what having a valet key would make a difference in in the vehicle other than the lock barrels of the glove and trunk compartment. Maybe it sets a speed limiter as well???

Edit: OR maybe the trunk release button would not work with the car running with a valet key. I do not think any caprices came with Valet keys because that is not something police cars do, valet park. Well maybe in Beverly Hills.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Moneymover

Post by Moneymover »

i bought a caprice and it came with one worn out key. after taking it to the local dealer to see if i could get 2 new keys made up on the recall for them it showed that the recalled keys were already cut for my car. so i contacted the department that the car came from and low and behold they actually had 3 brand new never programmed keys for my car laying in the captains desk. so they sent them out to me. I did all the programming steps that the instuctions tell you to do on program the keyless part and the key part. so after driving it once with the new programmed key it now say on the dash vehicle emobilized now and does the same thing with the other 2 new keys and the old original key. after programming the new keys to have the keyless entry to work the old keyless won't work but the new ones all do. but now has that message on the dash everytime i start and drive the vehicle?? any suguestions on how to get that message off? i can't figure it out.
Chevrolet 9C1-Caprice
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

MOney I am afraid that if your original key now says engine immobilized what you have done along the way is kick it out of the 10 spots that the car has for keys. Which means now you have no master key. What you must do from there is have the Dealer (or anyone with a tech2) go into the menus and add all the keys in. THis is called the 10 minute process. Basically they put the car in a certain state with the scanner then let it sit for 10 minutes then they are able to insert new key transponders into the memory of the vehicle. I will post the process but I do not think it is anything the consumer can do as it mentions the tech 2 must be used for certain steps:

On a side note this confirms a suspicion I had when I was tearing apart my fixed key and making it into a flip key. With the chip out of the key the vehicle still started up but the screen said 'Vehicle immobilized" I did not try to drive it cause I was scared it would stall or something but in your case I see the cars are still drive-able. Which means, we basically have no immobilizer system in our cars. If they can crack the ignition and turn the key I think they could drive off with out cars.

I wonder if they do that because if every police car in a fleet all had the same cut key but immobilizer worked there could be an emergency situation where a officer could be stranded because the car would not start. No bueno.

Makes a hid a key option an easier proposition tho.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Moneymover

Post by Moneymover »

wow that sure sounds like the issue. I guess i will see if i can find someone with a tech 2 and look into it. thanks again for the download and info. it was a lot of help.
Chevrolet 9C1-Caprice
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

kind of off topic, but can a g8 flip key be programmed to these cars?
or do you have to hack apart a caprice one to make it work?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

indianajoe wrote:kind of off topic, but can a g8 flip key be programmed to these cars?
or do you have to hack apart a caprice one to make it work?
Yes, it will work, if you have a blank that can be cut to match the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder and key dimensions changed for 2014, so the G8 key will only fit 2011-2013 cars. If you have a G8 flip key that is already cut, you'll need to grab the lock cylinder from that G8 to stay with the key. GM no longer sells the flip key due to safety issues, which is what the key recall was all about--if the G8 owners took their car in for recall, the flip-key was removed. (see below)

Posted "way back".....
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57&p=526&hilit=flip+key#p526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT News Flash - PN 89027333 G8 flip key blank MAY still be available! I should get a spare....but as I read my own post from 2013, I recall that the blank flipper was matched with my key code, and pre-cut by GM Parts (not dealer) to work with my vehicle's lock cylinder. I could not just buy the blank G8 flip key. If that's wrong, and I can buy another 89027333, I'll update this info.