Batteries

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
CrashTestDummy

Batteries

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well, in an effort to get rid of the liquid acid sloshing around in the back of the car, I went shopping for AGM batteries. The first thing I did was go look at the current mounting setups to see if I needed any special mounts. As it turns out, the passenger side battery is already an AC Delco Pro Gold AGM battery. The driver's side, though, was a regular Delco Pro Series lead-acid.

So the current plan is to get a replacement for the driver's side battery. I ordered an Optima PC925 and welded mount. It should have plenty of power (A guy on the Corner Carvers forum is using a PC680 to start his CTS-V). If it doesn't, I'll just swap the AC battery on the passenger's side to the driver's side and drop the Odyssey battery in the passenger side pocket. I'm sure the 925 will work in the left slot, though, and it's 1/2 the weight of the existing battery. The price difference between the PC925/mount and the AGM Delco was pretty much a wash, so there's no real money savings there, I'm just wanting to get the liquid acid out of the car, and save a little weight, too.

I'll probably later drop a PC680 over in the passenger side, to serve as a backup battery and save yet more weight. But I'll wait a while, as that battery looks new, and in good shape. I wonder which battery was original, because I suspect one of them was replaced at least once. Anyway, I'll update this thread when the battery gets installed.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Batteries

Post by Pursuit »

Keep us up to date. Some of us are going on 5 years with the OEM batteries. I'm already thinking a new battery or two are in my future.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Re: Batteries

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I was wanting to wait to find someone parting a car so I could get the OEM left-side battery tray to see what mods would be necessary to fit the Optima mount in, but had an epiphany last night; drop the Optima in the right side, and pull the OEM AGM battery from the right, and drop it into the left. I'll probably be checking that right-side OEM battery this weekend to see if it's still good, and a viable candidate for primary-battery duties.

If so, the Optima will go in sooner, than later.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?