Factory Radio Options for 2011-2013 Caprice PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Factory Radio Options for 2011-2013 Caprice PPV

Post by smwalker »

gpz750 wrote:Would have liked to be able to install a different head unit.
Would have been nice to have some rcas to easily do a 5 channel amp to power everything.
Looks like im stuck with a line converter to power a sub.
All the stories about the antenna connector make me worried about removing the stereo to have it upgraded.
Have you ever done a audio system with a line converter or sound processor? I have not, but reading up on them it seems like they have come a long way. May even be better than the traditional RCA outs. Not sure I will ever get around to upgrading my audio to that level but it is tempting.

It seems more and more manufacturers are designing their dash modules to not work with the aftermarket. And with so many functions of the car thrown into the factory head unit it seems to me aftermarket solutions are on their way out unless they can justify the numbers for creating a special unit. But lets hope OP finds a solution.

Not to worry about the antenna connector, you know about it so if you take it our just follow the steps. If you have a shop do it if they break it they will fix it. Just make sure and give them a heads up, of course that may not always be followed.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Rather than modifying the factory head unit for line level outputs, why not just use an amp that uses speaker level inputs like an Alpine MRV-V500? The factory premium sound setup in my '91 BMW gave me fits when I first bought it (someone had already put in a JVC head unit, and wired all the speaker grounds from the head unit to a common ground on the dash harness). Lots of bad feedback, etc. I tried wiring the factory speaker wire pairs to the back of the head unit, and the sound output started doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Come to find out, there was a factory amp in the trunk that was fried. I cut the speaker level inputs and outputs on both sides, and wired in one of the Alpine Class D amps using the speaker level inputs. The difference was night and day, no feedback, no distortion, and all the power I would ever be able to use.

Seems to me like the same thing could be done with these cars. You could install one of these amps in the trunk using speaker level inputs, and use the amp to drive both rear speakers and a subwoofer. That should surpass the sound quality of any car made up until about 20 years ago, especially with good speakers. Is there something preventing it from being done this way?
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

No nothing preventing you from going that route. Could be a very nice setup. My suggestion of a separate sound processor and AMP is kind of old school as the amps now a days probably have sound processor capabilities right on their boards.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

If I were to install say a 4 channel amp, and deck speakers, and run them all off, could I tap and splice the speaker power wires for signal or would I need the RCA jacks? And would anyone be willing to build me or sell me a pair of those jacks is my next question. Maybe not the right thread but I thought I'd give it a shot.

In theory it might not be the "professional way to install" but I think in theory the same could be done for subs.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
kevink

Post by kevink »

RCA jacks implies line level outputs. I'm sure it can be done, but so far, nobody has figured out how to tap into the line level signal of these radios. I'm willing to look into it if anyone has a schematic of the radio.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

kevink wrote:RCA jacks implies line level outputs. I'm sure it can be done, but so far, nobody has figured out how to tap into the line level signal of these radios. I'm willing to look into it if anyone has a schematic of the radio.
For sure but can't you get the L/R signal by tapping the speaker +s and use that for the amp?
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

The issue is the signal that is going into the amp. Changing the connector on the end does not change the signal. What you are attempting to do is using a high level input on a low level input amp. What you will want is an amp that can take the high level input or use a devise to convert high level to a low level (traditionally called a sound processor) and use a traditional amp.

Bit of reading here:

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/ca ... el-inputs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Easy enough, higher quality RCA jacks can be spliced into as well to make it a "hybrid" per say. Have done it to operate subs on a 400w Pioneer home stereo system. Thanks for the explanation. RCAs would be cleaner but could definitely be bypassed simply by splicing into RCA ends.

I'll ask around local shops but like OPs post, if it costs more than reasonable price I'm not gonna get RCAs added to the Silverbox.
The Rockford amp I'm looking at has both, but the sub amp might be a bit different.

Active Duty USAF
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

We could in theory setup the radio for an AMP just like they do in oz from the factory... I have to look into this a bit more.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

That would be absolutely wonderful! Not many options for aftermarket without heavy modification, so this would be great. Appreciate your work Chris.

Active Duty USAF