Factory Radio Options for 2011-2013 Caprice PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
ejf2461

Factory Radio Options for 2011-2013 Caprice PPV

Post by ejf2461 »

I found a Stereo Shop here in Indianapolis that has very skilled installers. I went to them to have the RCA soldered on my stereo computer board and have a rear camera installed. I showed him the our website and told the owner I was interested in adding a amplifier and a subwoofer. After a couple of days of research the Owner of Stereo Advantage 317.356.3313 called back and said he could solder the rca to the factory stereo board...also thanks to mercialogo for the detailed info & pics. I had planned on adding a 5 channel amplifier (Memphis Audio MXA5750) To expand the line level and have front & rear fader & subwoofer he recommended a signal processor made by Memphis Audio (LL6A). To solve the rear speaker issue and the dreaded 2013 rear door panels he recommended adding Focal 6.5" or 8" rear coaxial or componets that came with speaker grills. He said the would install the rear speakers and install the included speaker grills to make it look good. I then asked for a price to dynamat all 4 doors and the trunk. I had previously asked about sat radio and was informed you can install it on the aux button but have to have the seperate Sirius/Xm Radio Screen (Sirus XM Commander Touch Screen). After that we talked about a subwoofer. He recommended a single 12" by Memphis MXA12D4 in a carperted box. Total Price was $1700-$2000 out the door. I was convinced this is what I wanted until today when he called and said if I could put and aftermarket double din radio in your Caprice with Garmin Navigation would you be interested. I said HELL YES! He advised that a company called idatalink makes a product called Maestro:When an Automotive Data Solutions iDatalink Maestro RR is connected to a compatible KENWOOD receiver, it provides a seamless interface with factory infotainment features such as Satellite Radio, USB Media Player, Bluetooth hands-free and music streaming. Vehicle information such as HVAC, performance information, and TPMS can also be displayed. So now the plan is to install the stereo equipment listed above with a Kenwood Excelon DNN992. The car goes in on August 29th. Either way if you live close to Indy or are willing to drive there is a Stereo shop that understands our weird Aussie Radio and can solder on the rca cable and add a back up camera which he has alot of different options from economical to megapixel cameras with night vision. The Memphis Sound Processor is really cheap and allows adding amp to this wimpy radio. They are going to take a bunch of pics of the install so I will make sure to share.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
kevink

Re: Factory Radio Options for 2011-2013 Caprice PPV

Post by kevink »

That's awesome. I figured it was possible to install line level outputs and that it was just a matter of time before someone with the skills figured out how to do it. Is there any way you can get the instructions on how to do it yourself? I would love line level outputs but do not want to ever ship my radio anywhere again. Do you think the installer would be willing to give or even sell the instructions?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

If I were you I would put a little stipulation on any contract you sign dealing with this:

"All components/functions/features of the HVAC system shall be functional with the installation of the new component or the system will be brought back to factory configuration at the installers expense"

If it works great, but if they cant get it to work you dont want that problem.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

smwalker, The plan if for some reason the idatalink doesnt work I will go back to the Original mods on the Factory Head Unit. Idatalink bought a head unit from GM parts so the could do the R&D on the unit to make it work some I am keeping my fingers crossed. Ill keep you guys posted with all the details next week.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Looking forward to the results of the install . It will be nice to have some options for the radio .
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yes, by all means keep us updated please. You're going to be on the leading edge of this mod! (Bleeding edge? lol...)

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
gpz750

Post by gpz750 »

Any updates.
The stereo situation is so bad i may sale my 2011.
If i would have done adequate research i would have never bought the caprice.
It is ashame since the rest of the car is great
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What exactly are you after GPZ?

Just recently saw user Blackgt5 is working on putting in an SS Bose AMP in his G8. Although I think most things on the aftermarket would be better or equilivant cant fault the guy for trying something new with factory stuff.

SS Bose Amp Install
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
gpz750

Post by gpz750 »

Would have liked to be able to install a different head unit.
Would have been nice to have some rcas to easily do a 5 channel amp to power everything.
Looks like im stuck with a line converter to power a sub.
All the stories about the antenna connector make me worried about removing the stereo to have it upgraded.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

GPZ,
See this link with a photo of the antenna clip. It is on the driver's side behind the removable console panel. My push tab was broken, but was able to release the catch back inside the connector. Most salvage yards know to release the connectors on the passenger side of the radio but forget about the antenna. Then they break it off when they slide it out.

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The picture is at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof