Airbag Fault

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
twofi5e

Airbag Fault

Post by twofi5e »

Hello all. I have been getting a warning on my dash about an airbag fault recently. It started about a week ago when I decided to remove the front passenger seat to get a plate out that was used for police equipment. The plate was under the two seat rails so the seat had to be removed to get it out. I had the car for 3 weeks before I decided to do this an never had any issues with warning lights on the dash prior to this. So I removed the seat and took the plate out. When I removed the seat, I did not take it all the way out of the car. I removed the two bolts and lifted the front rails out and just sat the seat in about the same place it would normally sit simply to get the plate out. I didn't disconnect any wires or plugs. After reinstalling the seat I went to start the car and noticed the airbag fault message came on the display. I took a drive about 10 miles and the warning message would frequently go off and come back on. It continued to do this for about a day and a half to two days after removing the seat. After that, the warning message was on constantly. I asked a few friends about it and we took a look back under the seat. I had noticed a few oddities under the seat that I paid no real attention to prior to removing the seat. One of the yellow plugs (that I have been told are specifically for the airbags) had been cut before I removed the seat. I can tell this because it was a clean cut on one end of the wire as if it had been cut with scissors. I cut nothing the day I removed the seat. The other end of the wire where the yellow plug was, had been cut also, however there was a resistor wired in place just after the plug. I thought it was strange, but again paid it no mind. Now that I am getting the Airbag Fault message on my dash, it raises concerns as to why that resistor was wired in place. Tonight, I removed the resistor and tried wiring in a patch to reconnect the two ends and re-started the car and it is still throwing the airbag fault message. Here are some photos to hopefully better explain what I am talking about.

This is the yellow plug with the end that has the resistor wired into it. This wire was not connected to anything prior to me removing the seat. It had the shrink wrap around the resistor and there was electrical tape covering the exposed end that you see in the picture. The wires coming out of the yellow plug are one green and one gray. The other end of the plug (coming from under the rubber floor) are one orange and one green

Another view of the same plug

This is the other end of the wire that I attempted to reconnect the above plug to. As you can see it was a clean cut, and inside the shielding is one gray and one green wire. The same that are coming out of the yellow plug.

I apologize for the really long post. But my question is, has anyone else found this similar issue with their car? I wasn't sure if if was specifically wired that way because of it being a police car. Or if maybe there is something actually wrong with the airbag system and that was just a quick cover up to fix it. What would you guys recomment to solve this issue? I know that Chevy dealerships and higher end repair places have scan tools that can read airbag faults. Trying to avoid paying high costs at a dealership. But obviously don't want to be driving around a car that is unsafe for myself or my passengers.
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Airbag Fault

Post by smwalker »

Could be a few things. Maybe they cut the wire to disable one of your (I am guessing) seat side airbags. Why, not sure. Or it could be the wire for the sensor that determines if there is an occupant in the passenger seat and disables the dash air bag accordingly. If they had something mounted on the dash in front of the airbag perhaps they did not want the airbag going off even if there was a front occupant.

One way you could test that, does your mirror say the passenger side airbag is active when someone sits in the passenger seat? Well probly wont say anything now that the warning light is on, but give it a try.

Will see if I can see anything on the wiring diagram.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:Could be a few things. Maybe they cut the wire to disable one of your (I am guessing) seat side airbags. Why, not sure. Or it could be the wire for the sensor that determines if there is an occupant in the passenger seat and disables the dash air bag accordingly. If they had something mounted on the dash in front of the airbag perhaps they did not want the airbag going off even if there was a front occupant.

One way you could test that, does your mirror say the passenger side airbag is active when someone sits in the passenger seat? Well probly wont say anything now that the warning light is on, but give it a try.

Will see if I can see anything on the wiring diagram.

Hey thanks for the reply. That was my thinking that they disabled that airbag because that's just about where their laptop would sit and in an accident if the airbag went off it wouldn't be too pretty for anyone sitting there. But to answer your question, the sensor in the seat does still work to switch the passenger airbag on and off.
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And just to answer your other question. That is not factory. The resistor was put in there to fool the car into thinking the airbag was still hooked up so it would not set off the light. I have seen that many times in limo conversions as well. You may have jostled the resistor enough for it to loose connection. Could repair the resistor it but I think it would be better to get it back to stock.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:And just to answer your other question. That is not factory. The resistor was put in there to fool the car into thinking the airbag was still hooked up so it would not set off the light. I have seen that many times in limo conversions as well. You may have jostled the resistor enough for it to loose connection. Could repair the resistor it but I think it would be better to get it back to stock.

I definitely would much rather get it back to stock and figure out what's actually wrong with it rather than drive around in an unsafe car. Probably going to have to find a shop with a scan tool.
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Think just hooking the wires back up will be enough assuming they did not disconnect it because the airbag was somehow faulty. Just think you will have to find an appropriate method for connecting airbag wires. The connectors have gold in them for high connectivity, low resistance and high corrosion resistance. Going to have to get as close to that as you can, witch might mean more than a butt connector.

I will have access to wiring diagrams this evening, will post the relevant circuit so we can see what it actually is going to .
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:Think just hooking the wires back up will be enough assuming they did not disconnect it because the airbag was somehow faulty. Just think you will have to find an appropriate method for connecting airbag wires. The connectors have gold in them for high connectivity, low resistance and high corrosion resistance. Going to have to get as close to that as you can, witch might mean more than a butt connector.

I will have access to wiring diagrams this evening, will post the relevant circuit so we can see what it actually is going to .

Okay thanks for your help, will look for what you find in the diagrams later.
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

OK so it looks like that wire is for the seat belt pretensioner. not sure why they would have unhooked that??

OG would be the orange wire color on one side and GY would be gray.

Do you know if your car was in an accident? Many times after those pretensioners blow in an accident you have to replace all of them. Wonder if they cheeped out and only replaced the drivers side since they probably only ran 1 man cars anyway.

Look into Safety Restore If your belt assembly needs to be rebuilt.

Looks like the connectors are available from GM:

Last edited by smwalker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:OK so it looks like that wire is for the seat belt pretensioner. not sure why they would have unhooked that??

OG would be the orange wire color on one side and GY would be gray.

Do you know if your car was in an accident? Many times after those pretensioners blow in an accident you have to replace all of them. Wonder if they cheeped out and only replaced the drivers side since they probably only ran 1 man cars anyway.

Look into Safety Restore If your belt assembly needs to be rebuilt.
Yeah, the car was in an accident so that could probably be the culprit. I'm not exactly sure what a seatbelt pretensioner is or what it takes to replace one. Would the pretensioner going bad cause the airbag fault on the dash?
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

twofi5e wrote:
Yeah, the car was in an accident so that could probably be the culprit. I'm not exactly sure what a seatbelt pretensioner is or what it takes to replace one. Would the pretensioner going bad cause the airbag fault on the dash?
Yes if the pretensioner was faulty or deployed it would cause a code in the B range for "Body", Not sure the exact code GM uses but the description would be something similar to:

"Right Front Pretensioner Deployment Loop" Resistance High or Low.

You could go have your Air Bag Codes read to confirm. But dollars to donuts it's that jerry rigged connector.

I will see how difficult the pretensioner is to remove. Hold on.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White