Airbag Fault

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Airbag Fault

Post by smwalker »

OK so it actually looks like we have 2 pretensioners on our cars. One in the buckle (2 in diagram) and one in the anchor (4 in diagram):

BUt #4 is the part that is part of the seat belt recall. Have to go read the recall to see if that whole part gets replaced or just parts of it. Have you have the seat belt recall done yet that you know of?

Then there is 2 parts there square and oval, not sure what they mean there?? Why this stuff always get confusing!!!

Wonder if they mean square or oval yellow connector?? In that case it looks like you got the oval ones.
Last edited by smwalker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:
twofi5e wrote:
Yeah, the car was in an accident so that could probably be the culprit. I'm not exactly sure what a seatbelt pretensioner is or what it takes to replace one. Would the pretensioner going bad cause the airbag fault on the dash?
Yes if the pretensioner was faulty or deployed it would cause a code in the B range for "Body", Not sure the exact code GM uses but the description would be something similar to:

"Right Front Pretensioner Deployment Loop" Resistance High or Low.

You could go have your Air Bag Codes read to confirm. But dollars to donuts it's that jerry rigged connector.

I will see how difficult the pretensioner is to remove. Hold on.

All your help is much appreciated! Thank you!
-Kase
Maryland
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:OK so it actually looks like we have 2 pretensioners on our cars. One in the buckle (2 in diagram) and one in the anchor (4 in diagram):

BUt #4 is the part that is part of the seat belt recall. Have to go read the recall to see if that whole part gets replaced or just parts of it. Have you have the seat belt recall done yet that you know of?

Then there is 2 pats there square and oval, not sure what they mean there?? Why this stuff always get confusing!!!
I'm not sure if the car has had the recall done. Is there anything in the car I can look for to tell if it has or hasn't been done?
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well the easiest way is to see if your side trim pieces look all hacked up as the quality of the dremel work has not been very good by the dealers. Here is a link to the procedure on the G8 board (click the image tops to blow them up) . It does not look like they replace the pretesioner assembly rather just remove it and relocate it a bit.

OOps forgot link: http://www.g8board.com/forums/3302353-post40.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe if you take it in for the warranty work they will install the new pretensioner assembly, that you have to buy from them anyway since it is a hazardous material and cannot be shipped, at that time since they have to take it off anyway. Only added labor would be plugging it in. Should not charge you more then $100 to do that! LOL

Have to look into a test to confirm that your pretensioner is bad. Other wise you could just get the connector kit and rehook it.
Last edited by smwalker on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Neat video of them in action: https://youtu.be/6phdJWRi_vw?t=1m35s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe compare the height of your anchors from the drivers to passenger seat? They seem about the same? Does the passenger one move up and down? Dont think they should.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

They do not reccomend any OHM testing with a multi meter so that's out. If deployed you should be able to see a difference in them from the drivers one (assuming that one is good, may want to check the harness under that seat) . Some of the cable might be showing coming out the bottom. Just should be generally screwed up once you remove the side cover to the seat.

Just thinking here but looking at this picture:

I would think the gray sheath covering the cable would be crinkled up and that white plastic (or maybe that is aluminum with glare) piece would be gone or broken? Take a pic of yours both sides. Maybe we can learn to spot deployed ones at auctions and such.

Here is some info from GM on the various safety systems. It does say if an anchor is deployed you should see some deformation of the cover on the cable, in this case they mention an accordian type cover but I imagine our rubber one would be accordian like:
http://www.oaire.com/resources/GM%20Air%20Bag.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Here is some info on the codes for future reference:

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:Here is some info on the codes for future reference:

Steve, thanks again for all your help and useful information! I will see if I can get pics of mine in the next day or so when I have a little free time. Your help is very much appreciated, can't say thanks enough! That youtube video showing them in action was pretty interesting. Wish they would have gotten the spring loaded one to work to compare the two. Still interesting how all this technology that many people know nothing about (like myself) can save your life in the event of an accident.
-Kase
Maryland
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You are very welcome. My pleasure. You got me curious what a deployed one looks like now!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
twofi5e

Post by twofi5e »

smwalker wrote:You are very welcome. My pleasure. You got me curious what a deployed one looks like now!!
Haha I will definitely post pictures when I take a look. I might have time to do it tomorrow. If not, should be the next day.
-Kase
Maryland