Chevy SS Instrument Cluster swap

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Silversled

Chevy SS Instrument Cluster swap

Post by Silversled »

One of the "aesthetic" faux pas of the interior of my 2014 PPV is its mismatched monochromatic gauge cluster compared to the color display of the myLink 8" center screen. After verifying the cluster pin-outs between my car and the 2015 Chevy SS, I decided to try one.

Well it works mostly but I'll have to contact White Auto to see if they can mate it properly to my ECM and car config (i.e. no bumper sensors/camera, properly reading mileage, etc). However, all basic functions work perfectly. This will end up in my SS dash installation.

Video is here :

https://youtu.be/uXWMmhF1dqk
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Chevy SS Instrument Cluster

Post by elc32955 »

Nice mod! I had always wondered if the two clusters were swappable, that's a mod that'll directly made the cars more desirable. Now I know you do lose the shift position indicator but gain the temp gauge, that's not a bad tradeoff. One of the things you need to verify for the group is that you do get a gear position indication on the MFD when you shift with the dash (aka "column") shifter. That would render the manual indicator on the PPV cluster 100% superfluous. Also is there an issue with the odometer other then making it read correct miles for your car? I'm guessing that Chris can reprogram the odometer to match...

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Nice mod! keep us informed on the progress.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

elc32955 wrote:Nice mod! I had always wondered if the two clusters were swappable, that's a mod that'll directly made the cars more desirable. Now I know you do lose the shift position indicator but gain the temp gauge, that's not a bad tradeoff. One of the things you need to verify for the group is that you do get a gear position indication on the MFD when you shift with the dash (aka "column") shifter. That would render the manual indicator on the PPV cluster 100% superfluous. Also is there an issue with the odometer other then making it read correct miles for your car? I'm guessing that Chris can reprogram the odometer to match...

Thanks
Eric
Eric,
All excellent questions that Chris will have to help me answer. I was planning on reaching out to him this week. I've been following his previous work on one of the SS forums and it looks like programming this gauge cluster is a no brainer for him including changing to the red Holden theme and adding additional info that is inherently carried in the GM LAN signal.

As for the gear indicators on the gauges, I'm not too upset if I permanently loose them since I'll be converting the "column" shifter back to the floor shifter (again SS shifter, linkage, and center console).

We'll see what happens. I was dreading having to bolt the stock cluster into the new SS dash. LOL.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

this will only apply on a 2014+ ppv correct?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

xcidmigs wrote:this will only apply on a 2014+ ppv correct?
I can't speak for the electrical interface but physically, yes 2014+. I bought the 2014+ PPV because it shares the same interior/electronic architecture as the 2014+ Chevy SS (Holden Commodore VF2).
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
ls1mike

Post by ls1mike »

Oh man I really like that. Keep us posted!
Mike Friend
2014 Caprice PPV 9C1
2000 Trans Am WS6
2015 Turbo Malibu
2002 Silverado 2500HD
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

ls1mike wrote:Oh man I really like that. Keep us posted!
I've been in contact with Chris at White Auto and getting an education on GM's Group A Global Architecture. There are built in security protocols in the components that will brick themselves if they are run in a car that doesn't have the same VIN that it was originally married to at the factory.

I've sent the IPC (cluster) to him and he'll be working to crack the security protocols. We'll see how this works out.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

After some informative communications with Chris at WAMS, I sent my 2015 Chevy SS IPC to them to take care of the built in security and reprogram it to work with my 2014 PPV. We exchanged a few emails on the weekend as he was working on the IPC and I received it back this week on Thursday. I decided to take the day off today and install it (it's nice to be the boss).

The installation took less than 40 minutes from beginning to end. The only tools needed is a 7mm socket with extension and non-marring interior pry tools.

I fired the car up and it works! I also had Chris add the Performance Menu which adds a few cool toys but more importantly, I now get oil pressure and temperature! Overall, I love the mod. Kudos to Chris for doing a great job! I did this to support my full SS dash installation.

Here is the vid of the final product and the steps I documented for the switch out. I hope this is useful to those with 2014+ PPV and even those with SS's.

VIDEO OF END RESULT

https://youtu.be/Ak3HbtwINTI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE SWAP

Reverse order of removal to install new IPC assembly.....

2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

Very sharp!
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)