TPMS problems

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Siid

TPMS problems

Post by Siid »

When I picked up the vehicle after purchasing, the TPMS system said tire fault and was not displaying any tire pressures on the dash screen. Today I went and had the TPMS sensors reprogrammed for free (thanks discount tire) All tire pressures showing correctly and no TPMS light at all.

After about 60 miles of driving, I get a "ding" and now the system is showing "system fault!" Like it was before. No tire pressures at all.
Siid

Re: TPMS problems

Post by Siid »

Now I'm more confused. Got back in to run errands, no TPMS light, no errors or faults.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

My car does this on my G8 wheels. I bought brand new TPMS sensors and they seem to catch sometimes and not others. Winter tires on the stock steelies work 100%. I don't pay attention to these things anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Siid wrote:When I picked up the vehicle after purchasing, the TPMS system said tire fault and was not displaying any tire pressures on the dash screen. Today I went and had the TPMS sensors reprogrammed for free (thanks discount tire) All tire pressures showing correctly and no TPMS light at all.

After about 60 miles of driving, I get a "ding" and now the system is showing "system fault!" Like it was before. No tire pressures at all.
Your car is 2011, with 97K miles--my initial thought is that the sensors--several, at least--are growing tired. Each sensor has a battery that has a limited life and does require replacement, eventually--not just the battery, but the entire sensor (to my knowledge, batteries are not serviceable separately).

Fact of life with cars in this century, with "nannie" mandates like TPMS.
Siid

Post by Siid »

Navy Lifer wrote:
Siid wrote:When I picked up the vehicle after purchasing, the TPMS system said tire fault and was not displaying any tire pressures on the dash screen. Today I went and had the TPMS sensors reprogrammed for free (thanks discount tire) All tire pressures showing correctly and no TPMS light at all.

Your car is 2011, with 97K miles--my initial thought is that the sensors--several, at least--are growing tired. Each sensor has a battery that has a limited life and does require replacement, eventually--not just the battery, but the entire sensor (to my knowledge, batteries are not serviceable separately).

Fact of life with cars in this century, with "nannie" mandates like TPMS.
I worked at discount tire a few years back and learned quite a bit about TPMS. My original bought was that ge sensors and/or batteries are simply losing their strength. My 2007 Infiniti G35S has comparable miles and has had no issues though. Oh well. Sensors aren't SUPER expensive but they're annoying to me. I dislike the TPMS alert that flashes in your face on the dash
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

I had the exact same issue at 104K miles. Replaced 2 sensors and no problem since in 6k miles.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
Siid

Post by Siid »

Holden_buff wrote:I had the exact same issue at 104K miles. Replaced 2 sensors and no problem since in 6k miles.
100 or so miles since it last turned off and turned back on. No issues yet. Hopefully I get lucky and this was just a one time thing.