New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 pm 

I know this is an old thread but I was curious if swapping ECM/BCM from a 2012 (with VATS removal) to a 2011 would fix the problem. I've got a 2012 to use as a donor (front end collision) for another project (1959 Rambler station wagon) and I'm picking up a 2011 as a daily driver. Features like stabilitrak and traction control won't be used on the Rambler anyway so if I could swap modules to give the 2011 the features on the 2012 I'd be in. Anyone have an answer?

Many thank,

-Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 pm 

Since I stated this thread, I added a lot of power to my 2011 and have turned off torque management in the tune. It's a completely different car now with the added power, high stall converter, and 3.45 rear. In performance mode (which disable traction control), I do not see any evidence of stabilitrak doing anything, even during long rolling burnouts from ~25 mph or burnouts from a stop. I have never been in serious trouble (car completely sideways and heading for a guardrail), so maybe it will come on in a situation like that. I don't know. If I were to get into that situation, I would be just fine with stabilitrak coming on and possibly saving me ass. If I do not enable performance mode, traction control will come on during burnouts, but TC is easy to turn off.

I wonder if people's complaints about stabilitrak are just because they don't make enough power or have not turned off torque management. As of right now, I see no need to disable stabilitrak, but I'm not some weirdo that does donuts in parking lots or anything like that.