New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Disabling Stabilitrak
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 171
According to the 2011 manual, you can turn Stabilitrak off by entering performance mode, but it also insinuates that it never completely turns off. Same with the 2012 manual. The only difference between the two manuals is that the 2012 manual specifically states that it can be turned completely off by holding the button in for 5 seconds. In both manuals, it sounds like Stabilitrak will interfere less when in performance mode. Is it possible that GM just didn't include instructions for whatever reason on how to turn Stabilitrak completely off in the 2011 manual? If you hold the TCS button in for 5 seconds in a 2012 car, does a message come up that says it's completely off or does it just say that it's in performance mode?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:18 am
Posts: 139
Location: Delmarva
IIRC, the 2011s cant turn the stabilitrack completely off. Its only 2012 and up.

I mean, if you REALLY want to turn stabilitrack off, just unplug a speed sensor. You would loose ABS and all other driver assists. But your cluster would be in season with all the different color lights. :lol:

Disclaimer for above....don't do it. lol

_________________
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 am
Posts: 541
Location: SE PA
You can't turn it off on a 2011, my tuner also stated they are not aware how to modify the performance button to make it shut off completely only that they could just turn it off completely in a tune which is not what I want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 171
BIG_GREEK wrote:
IIRC, the 2011s cant turn the stabilitrack completely off. Its only 2012 and up.

Yes, I have also read that, but it would be nice to confirm it somehow.

BIG_GREEK wrote:
I mean, if you REALLY want to turn stabilitrack off, just unplug a speed sensor. You would loose ABS and all other driver assists. But your cluster would be in season with all the different color lights. :lol:

That's not a reasonable solution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 171
xcidmigs wrote:
You can't turn it off on a 2011, my tuner also stated they are not aware how to modify the performance button to make it shut off completely only that they could just turn it off completely in a tune which is not what I want.


Interesting. I have heard that you can't turn off Stabilitrak in a tune (at least with HP Tuners) as it's in the BCM. What does your tuner use and who do you go to? Did your tuner mention that if they turned ST off whether traction control and ABS would also be turned off? The interplay between Stabilitrak, traction control, and ABS is really interesting to me. I would love to know how they work together and how modifying one affects the other.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 am
Posts: 541
Location: SE PA
Kev, my tuner uses EFI live remotely after I Log info from driving. I don't recall what their specific statement was I will try to dig it up in emails...

Heres some other info I found that says again on the 2011 you can't turn off stabilitrak.

http://www.government-fleet.com/news/st ... itrak.aspx

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/arti ... ls?id=1575


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 pm
Posts: 94
Is there anyway to tune the BCM on a 2011 so that stabilitrack functions the same as the 2012/13 model? I also would like to gain the complete shutoff after 10 seconds feature. Anyone know if the BCM is pinned the same between the two years, or if they made any kind of wiring changes to accommodate the different function, or if it's purely in the code of the BCM?

_________________
-2011 Caprice 9C1, 11k mile non-issue car
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 C20 Suburban 454/5-speed, the toy hauler
-1991 BMW 325i
-2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L, the wifemobile


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 171
cal30_sniper wrote:
Is there anyway to tune the BCM on a 2011 so that stabilitrack functions the same as the 2012/13 model? I also would like to gain the complete shutoff after 10 seconds feature. Anyone know if the BCM is pinned the same between the two years, or if they made any kind of wiring changes to accommodate the different function, or if it's purely in the code of the BCM?



I sure hope there's a way. Chris White does BCM programming, but he does not have anything about Stabilitrak listed on his website. I sent him an email about it anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 pm
Posts: 94
Be sure and post what you hear back. I've been corresponding back and forth with him about doing some BCM tuning for the shifter. He seems like a great guy.

_________________
-2011 Caprice 9C1, 11k mile non-issue car
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 C20 Suburban 454/5-speed, the toy hauler
-1991 BMW 325i
-2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L, the wifemobile


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 171
cal30_sniper wrote:
Be sure and post what you hear back. I've been corresponding back and forth with him about doing some BCM tuning for the shifter. He seems like a great guy.


Chris said that disabling Stabilitrak may be doable and will most likely require reprogramming of the BCM and the brake control module. I'm not in a position to have mine done at this time, so if anyone wants to be the first to have it disabled on a 2011, be sure to update this thread!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group