Odyssey battery install

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
CrashTestDummy

Odyssey battery install

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Finally! I got time in the shop to install the Odyssey battery I purchased back in July. It's not an easy install, as the battery is just about 1/4" wider than the OEM battery. I had to modify the Odyssey mounting bracket for it, as well as the factory mounting bracket. In the process of removing the OEM battery tray, I ended up breaking the bolt that serves as the battery and secondary circuitry ground. I relocated the grounds to the mounting bolt that attaches the tray to the side of the body. Here's the battery mounted up:

And here's the broken bolt, and where it was. I'd suggest you check this bolt now, because it appears that the hole it goes into is open to the outside of the chassis, and possibly subject to water/salt spray from the right rear tire:

This work saved about 25 lbs in the car, retaining power to the passenger side of the vehicle, and freed up the AGM battery that was there to use as the primary battery, which is liquid-acid. The battery was a bit low in the charge, so I have it on a battery tender to see if it'll come up. Otherwise, I have another core. :(
Last edited by CrashTestDummy on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Re: Odyssey battery install

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The AGM battery showed a full charge after sitting on the Battery Tender overnight, so I did the swap out of the primary battery this morning. Turns out the secondary battery was a size down from the OEM Series 94. In spite of that, it had a CCA rating 5 amps lower than the primary battery, so I dropped it in. Figured I probably also saved an additional 5 lbs, or so.

There was a bit of surface rust on the tray, but no bubbling or flaking, and it easily cleaned off. The reprogram of the display took longer than the battery swap. :-/

Anyway, all done. Time for the next project!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?