Intermittent dead cluster, warning lights, and no vin radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
indianajoe

Intermittent dead cluster, warning lights, and no vin radio

Post by indianajoe »

just about everything that could go wrong just did in my caprice...

i was driving and the airbag light came on, i figured the broken connector under the drivers seat (have the downfitters to thank for that) had worked loose, no big deal.

then it went away after ~10 seconds, which struck me as odd, then i went to turn and noticed the turn signal wasn't blinking in the gauge cluster.

then all hell broke loose, the radio turned off (i was streaming from my phone) and the message "VIN not present" appeared (pic #1) then almost every warning light turned on: airbag, passenger seatbelt (no one else in car), abs, tcs (always on, unrelated), parking brake.

then the cluster powered down, the gauges went flat and dark, but the warning lights turned on, (pic #2 was taken while i was driving)

fortunately i was three minutes from home, got home, turned it off and it wont turn on now, i guess because it thinks its stolen...

anyone encounter this before?

only thing ive done to the car recently is replace the oil pressure sender, which was throwing a CEL, (which didn't come on in this present debacle)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Intermittent dead cluster, warning lights, and no vin ra

Post by smwalker »

THink your alternator may have taken a dump. THose are all signs of falling voltage, think you were running on your battery for a while.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

well i forgot to mention that i unplugged thebattery when i parked it after it wouldn't restart, and now 45 minutes later i just hooked it back up and everything is fine...

EDIT: put multimeter on battery, 12.6 siting, 14.8 when idling, so it seems to be charging fine
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Necroposting because this popped up again last night, started the same, intermittent airbag light then the radio freaked out, and the cluster died, but this time it was odd because it kept coming back on and turning off

Everything else was the same, wouldn't start after turning it off and I unplugged the battery and it came back to normal
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Loss of low speed can sounds like what you've got going on.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

That a part I can replace?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Some info on the CAN systems here: http://www.aa1car.com/library/can_systems.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White