Head-Up Display - HUD - Wiring Info

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Head-Up Display - HUD - Wiring Info

Post by smwalker »

Think I can add on to the SS shifter wiring harness to add wiring for the HUD. Since most of what we need we can pick up in the same area as the Power wire for the shifter harness. Will see if I can track it all down.

Start with the diagram:
Now this is a diagram from the SS so may not translate fully but we will use the labels of it to make things organized
SS HUD Wiring Diagram
SS HUD Wiring Diagram
HUD Diagram.png (152.78 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
So we need:
1. A plug into the HUD display that is P29
2. A plug into the HUD dimmer control that is S27
3. A battery positive supply we can pick up in the PPV at X252 (same plug used for the SS shifter harness)
4. A Ground We can pick up in the PPV at X252
5. A Data line connection we can insert into the splice pack connector JX200 that is next to X233 behind the glove box
6. And what is missing from the diagram is LED back light control. You can see it's present in the pinouts below but not the diagram. No elegant solution to pick that up anywhere with a plug in so may just do a Posi-tap into the headlight switch harness right next to where the HUD dimmer will mount.

Pinouts:

P29 HUD Display Module
I had to steal the Connector diagram from the camaro's documentation because once again GM flaked out on our SS documentation and put in the wrong OEM part number. suckers!!
P29 Camaro HUD Plug Drawing
P29 Camaro HUD Plug Drawing
Camaro HUD pinout 1.png (87.37 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
P29 HUD Wire Assignment
P29 HUD Wire Assignment
HUD 2.png (70.87 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
S27 HUD Dimmer Switch
HUD Switch Plug Drawing
HUD Switch Plug Drawing
HUD Switch 1.png (70 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
HUD Switch Wire Assignment
HUD Switch Wire Assignment
HUD Switch 2.png (56.22 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
OK so for finding the connectors and terminals

P29 HUD Display Module

This one is easy the Camaro pinout listed the correct part number 15499368 for the connector. Now that is not a GM number but rather an Aptiv (formerly Delphi) part number.
Here is the Drawing for Aptiv 15499368

Aptiv 15499368 - Mouser has them in small quantities

As for the terminals no part numbers listed for those by GM. So we look at the Aptiv drawing. It shows 15491265. That seems to be a good number but no longer in use.
So looking further seems the terminals are or can be interchanged with a Yazaki product. I found this reference in a chart and it seems to line up witht he connector family description:
15491265 Yasaki Kaizen 0.64 Micros Female

Best I could find there is a 0.64 size for a 20-22 AWG wire is 7116-4618-02 - YESC Kaizen Connector 0.64(025) Female Terminal

Bad news is Mouser does not sell Yazaki products. I can get them from Nexus Electronics out by me but they got a 100 minimum buy. I may actually already have some of these for another project. I want to say the 14+ backup camera harness uses the same terminals. Have to check on that. UPDATE TO COME

UPDATE: Well looked up the USCAR standard and came up with this part number for an Aptiv product that Mouser carries. Looks similar to the Yazaki and the description matches up so I think they might be interchangeable:
15445904 - Aptiv Micro HVT Female 0.64 terminal

Update again do not think the 15445904 worked or I got the wrong ones fom Mouser.
But did find the JST terminals I use for the AUX in connectors work here also.
Manufacturer (JST) Part # SAIT-A02T-M064

Next is the S27 Hud Dimmer switch.

Connector is a JST HCM series connector (Catalog Page).
Part Number HCMPB-06-K is without CPA (Connector Position Assurance) - Mouser stocks them
The one with CPA is HCMPB-C06A-K - but Mouser does not seem to stock them. CPA not all that important.

Female Terminals:
SHCM-A03T-P025 - JST HCM series Female Terminal 20-22AWG

Last thing is the Terminals for JX200
These get inserted into the existing connector JX200 which is what GM calls a splice pack. What it is is just a connector with a bar in it that connects all the terminals together to create a data network sort of HUB or diagnostic port where you can test each leg of the network. All the wires going into it are all the same color because they are all green data network wires. We will just be adding one. You can do it in any open spot does not matter.
The terminals are listed as part number 12191812
Mouser Stocks them in small quantities - Aptiv GT 150 Series Female Terminal (up to 18 awg wire)

I am using 22 awg wire for most of my harness so I like Aptiv 12191811 a little better as it takes a smaller wire. Mouser has that also in small quantities.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Head-Up Display - HUD - Wiring Info

Post by smwalker »

Picking up the LED back light wire at the headlamp switch is the yellow wire in cavity #7.
But could also get it from the Traction or Sport mode buttons (also yellow wire)

Diagram:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/105/ ... 263805.pdf

Ah yea we have to think about where those two buttons are going to go when the remove them for the HUD dimmer control.
The SS dash comes with a Traction control button. Some have used one of the parking sensor buttons for a hidden sport mode button. But really with the SS shifter installed as soon as you go into manual shifting mode you are in sport mode so not sure it is needed all that much. Anyone think of anything?
SS Traction control button.jpg
SS Traction control button.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

So I sent off my first HUD harness off so will see if it works out OK.

In the interim another member took a chance and bought this harness from Gen5DIY for the Camaro.

GEn 5 - GEN5DIY - 10-12 Camaro 2LT & 2SS HUD Harness

Said it worked well. Had to modify one of the cluster connectors tabs a bit to make it fit. Gen5 interrupts the cluster connector to pick up Power, ground and Data. We have it over behind the glove box and since I will be over there anyway for the shifter connector power and ground not much more effort to pick up the data there and leave the cluster connector alone.

I got mine priced as a $78 Add on to the Shifter Harness. Or I can wire it to stand alone without the shifter harness. Either way same price.

SS Shifter Conversion Harness - Cost $126.00
SS HUD Harness - Cost $78.00
SS Button Sport and Traction Pigtail - $45.00

Here is the plugs of the HUD harness:
HUD Harness Labled.jpg
HUD Harness Labled.jpg (712.22 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
Here is a video on installing the Splice pack data wire:
https://youtu.be/Zjupkr2U2CY

Only other connection is that of the LED backlight Wire. It gets posi tapped to the yellow wire in spot 7 of the headlamp switch connector. Problem is there are 2 yellow wires so make sure and get the right one. The other yellow wire is in spot 1 right above spot 7 so can get confusing. Here is a drawing and pinout:
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
6172crew

Post by 6172crew »

I have a complete harness from a 2015 SS for the 2015 PPV in my garage. It has the larger plug for the harness in the center counsel and of course the HUD.
This PPV is retaining the ignition switch, and column shifter so I’m at a loss for even rigging the HUD up unless I dissect the wires from the SS harness and route them to the correct pin on the PPV harness. I see that you all have bought harness kits but where were they purchased?

The HUD can be vin programmed from what I can tell on the WAM website but it still needs to be wired up.

Google helped me find this thread, hoping someone has got one working.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I make the harnesses now. I came to the same conclusion as you with regard to dissecting the wires out. Can be done but sometimes easier just to add a new harness.

I make one if you are doing an SS shifter then I add on the HUD harness to that. But it can stand alone if you are keeping the column shifter.

I also make a pigtail so you can relocate the traction and sport buttons to the SS console buttons. You have to move them if you put in the HUD controls. But there is a 3D printed option as well from IPF racing to just move you existing Traction and sport buttons.
reddit.jpg
reddit.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

very nice !!

so any idea when you are doing karos caprice ?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

> so any idea when you are doing karos caprice ?

Completed! Had a hard time with the HUD on his could get it to display but not adjust or change pages. Tried 2 separate controls but no go. Figured we got a bad HUD module?

Got a code for an open wire in the Control circuit. Tested all my wires had good continuity. So just not sure what was going on.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

smwalker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:19 pm > so any idea when you are doing karos caprice ?

Completed! Had a hard time with the HUD on his could get it to display but not adjust or change pages. Tried 2 separate controls but no go. Figured we got a bad HUD module?

Got a code for an open wire in the Control circuit. Tested all my wires had good continuity. So just not sure what was going on.
he told me you tried yours and it worked , so im guessing his was hurt from what ever wreck the car was in

i need to get in a hurry and get my caprice done once the weather cools