12v keyed power to rear-view mirror

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
iefbr14

12v keyed power to rear-view mirror

Post by iefbr14 »

Need some advice on the best routing/source for 12V keyed power to the rear-view mirror area.

In 2014, a compass is no longer available, so I want to install a auto-dimming compassed-mirror (such as from an Oldsmobile). It's a self-contained mirror, the magnetic sensor is inside the mirror housing. The mirror also has reading lights which I don't plan to activate since there are other reading lights already in the vehicle. Therefore, all 6 pins won't be used....just 2 or 3.

Wire it going up the left A-pillar? The right A-pillar? From the rear-window down the center of the roof? What color wire and where to splice into for 12v keyed?

I could do an easy splice into the existing reading lights and have RAP shut the compass off after it times out, but I wanted a less cheesy job than that.

Thanks for your advice.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: 12v keyed power to rear-view mirror

Post by Navy Lifer »

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0818#p1492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the laundry list:
2. Install lighted sunshades (visors)
3. Install front overhead (dome) light with individual (independently-controlled) spots for driver & passenger
10. Gentex GENK45AM auto-dim mirror with compass and “Home Link” feature

Power was also run (actually it already existed, but was modified) to the map light, which is a different configuration (looks like what is on SS) but called for a different harness/plug, as well as power to the sunshades, which were changed to G8 (currently black fabric), with lighted mirrors, and still need to be changed to SS parts for the color change to light urban/titanium fabric. The Home Link power is probably fed from the left sunshade light power source.

My recollection is that power was run from a hot position on the fuse panel on driver side, up the left A pillar--probably only for the sunshades and Home Link.

Pictures I do have are not adequate, and since Scott (Williams) was doing the work, I wasn't really paying that close attention. We did set it up so that the compass is controlled by key, which means 2 power wires were run for the mirror I'm using.