Intermittent Wipers, not the good kind...

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
yargnits

Intermittent Wipers, not the good kind...

Post by yargnits »

My wipers are starting to be temperamental; as in, I turn them on and they do nothing. It's only happened twice and the first time it was cured by shutting the car off and turning it back on. They didn't work again today and have not come back on even with cycling the ignition. My first move was to check the boards and don't see anything that would relate to my '11. The next was to write this post. I think today I'll tap on the relay (after I find it) and see if that cures it.

Afternoon Update: Back to working again at lunch.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
Sanford

Re: Intermittent Wipers, not the good kind...

Post by Sanford »

I have a 2011 that has been doing the same thing recently. I swapped the high speed and low speed relays with each other that are under the hood and it made no change. I also pulled the relays from another 2011 that I recently picked up, and it made no difference. I pulled the motor assembly out and with it plugged in, it would run when you turn the assembly in a different position from it normally mounted position. I put it back in and it worked for a couple of weeks and then it started acting up again. I have wiggled the wires around and it made no difference. I have a spare motor assembly, but I am not usually a parts swapper. I have to find the smoking gun to have confidence the wipers will work when needed. The wife was going to use it make a 500 mile round trip a month ago and I made her drive the old faithful 96 Caprice instead. I guess its time to buy a factory manual for the beast.

David
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

I guess it's kinda good news that I'm not the only one with an issue. If there were more instances it'd be a safety issue like the 2014s and a recall might happen. I guess I need to buy some rain-x
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Luckily, the few times I've had to use them, the wipers have worked fine. I do, however, try to keep the windows coated with Rain-X. My wife hates it, but I really like it.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Some info from the service manual that may help you:

Wiper/Washer System Description and Operation

Windshield Wiper/Washer System Components

The windshield wiper/washer system consists of the following components:

Underhood electrical center (UEC)
Instrument panel electrical center (IPEC)
Body control module (BCM)
Washer solvent container
Windshield outside moisture sensor
Windshield wiper/washer switch
Windshield wiper system module (wiper motor/linkage)
Windshield wiper arm and blade assemblies (washers nozzles integrated into wiper blade assemblies)
Windshield washer pump
Windshield wiper relay low speed/park R10 (UEC)
Windshield wiper relay high speed front R9 (UEC)
Windshield washer pump relay front R15 (UEC)
Windshield outside moisture sensor fuse F16 10 A (IPEC)
Windshield wiper fuse F15 30 A (UEC)
Windshield washer pump fuse F21 15 A (UEC)

Windshield Wiper/Washer System Power and Ground

Power to the windshield wiper/washer system is supplied from the following sources:

Windshield outside moisture sensor fuse F16 which is active in the accessory and ignition power mode
Windshield wiper motor fuse F15 which is active in the accessory and ignition power mode
Windshield washer pump fuse F21 which is active when the washer pump relay is activated

Ground to the windshield wiper/washer system is supplied from the following ground points:

Windshield outside moisture sensor grounding point G201 (ring terminal at the cockpit endplate right)
Windshield wiper motor grounding point G102 (ring terminal at the chassis right side)
Windshield washer pump grounding point G104 (ring terminal at the inner left front fender)

Windshield Wiper/Washer System Description and Operation

The winsdhield wiper/washer system is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM receives inputs from the windshield wiper/washer switch, the rain senor (if fitted), park switch (in the wiper motor) and vehicle speed data from the HS GMLAN network. The BCM processes the input information and activates the appropriate relays located in the UEC to control the windshield wiper and washer motors.

Mist Operation

The winsdhield wiper mist switch is a momentary switch which returns to the OFF position when released. The windshield wiper will perform one wipe cycle when the mist switch is activated and released . If the mist switch is held in the ON position the windshield wiper motor will remain activated until the switch is released. When the windshield wiper switch is in the mist position terminal X1–9 in the BCM is grounded through a 332 ohm resistor in the windsield wiper switch. The BCM monitors the voltage at terminal X1–9 and upon detecting a voltage change activates the windshield wiper low speed relay for as long as the windshield wiper switch is held in the ON position. When the windshield wiper switch is released the low speed relay is deactivated by the BCM and the contacts in the low speed relay return to rest position, dynamically breaking the wiper motor to its park position.

Intermittent Operation

In the intermittent position the windshield wiper will perform one wipe cycle, wait a delay period and repeat this action until a different wiper switch function is selected. Rotating the INT collar on the wiper switch through its five positions, will increase or decrease the delay period between windshield wipe cycles. The delay period between wipe cycles is also decreased automatically as the vehicle speed increases. When the intermittent positon is selected terminal X1–9 at the BCM is grounded through a series of resistors in the wiper switch. The BCM monitors the voltage at terminal X1–9 and upon detecting the voltage change, activates the low speed relay. Power is then supplied by the low speed relay through the high speed relay rest contacts to terminal 4 of the windshield wiper motor.

The intermittent switch resistance values are:

Intermittent collar position (1) 3870 ohms
Intermittent collar position (2) 2800 ohms
Intermittent collar position (3) 1975 ohms
Intermittent collar position (4) 1310 ohms
Intermittent collar position (5) 747 ohms

Auto Operation

In the auto position the electrical functionality of the wiper switch is identical to the intermittent position except the INT collar controls the sensitivity of the windshield outside moisture sensor. The windshield outside moisture sensor communicates to the BCM via two circuits using a PWM signal. The BCM transmits data to the windshield outside moisture sensor on what setting the intermittent collar is set to and the rain sensor commands the BCM to operate the wipers. Depending on the frequency of the rain the BCM can operate the wipers on intermittent, low or high speed modes.

Low Operation

When the low speed position is selected terminal X1–9 at the BCM is grounded through a 331 ohm resistor in the windshield wiper switch. Terminal X1–5 is also grounded in the windshield wiper switch. The BCM monitors the voltage at terminal X1–9 and upon detecting the voltage change, activates the low speed relay. Power is then supplied by the low speed relay, through the high speed relay rest contacts to terminal 4 of the windshield wiper motor.

High Operation

When the high speed position is selected terminal X1–9 at the BCM is grounded through a 331 ohm resistor in the wiper switch. The BCM monitors the voltage at terminal X1–9 and X1–5 and upon detecting the voltage change, activates the low and high speed relays. Power is then supplied by the low speed relay through the high speed relay ON contacts to terminal 3 of the windshield wiper motor.

Wash Operation

When the wash position is selected terminal X1–24 at the BCM is grounded through the windshield wiper switch. The BCM monitors the voltage at terminal X1–24 and upon detecting the voltage change, activates the windshield washer pump relay. Power is then supplied from the windshield washer pump relay through fuse F21 to terminal 1 on the windshield washer pump motor. When the windshield washer pump has been activated the BCM will also activate the low speed windshield wiper motor until the windshield wash switch is released. The will windshield wiper motor will carry out 3 to 5 wipe cycles after the windshield wash switch has been released.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Color one that is a bit bigger: http://imgur.com/a/V5uBl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Circuit/System Testing

Windshield Wiper Switch Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch.
2. Test for less than 40 Ω between the low reference circuit terminal 8 and ground.
⇒X If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit test normal, replace the BCM.
3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool Windshield Wiper Switch parameter is Off.
⇒X If not the specified value, test the signal circuit terminal 7 for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
4. Verify the scan tool Wiper High Speed Switch parameter is Inactive.
⇒X If not the specified value, test the signal circuit terminal 4 for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
5. Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal 7 and ground. Verify the scan tool Windshield Wiper Switch parameter is Switch Fault.
⇒X If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
6. Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal 4 and ground. Verify the scan tool Wiper High Speed Switch parameter is Active.
⇒X If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
7. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch.

Windshield Wiper Motor Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect WIPER LO relay.
2. Ignition OFF, wait 20 seconds, Test for less than 1Ω between the ground circuit terminal 85 and ground.
⇒X If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
3. Ignition OFF, wait 20 seconds, test for less than 1Ω between the ground circuit terminal 87A and ground.
⇒X If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
4. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 87 and ground.
⇒X If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the underhood fuse block.
5. Ignition OFF, wait 20 seconds, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 86 and the ground circuit terminal 85.
6. Ignition ON, command the WIPER LO relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
7. If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
8. If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
9. Ignition OFF, disconnect the WIPER HIGH relay.
10. Test for less than 1 Ω between the control circuit terminal 30 at the WIPER LO relay and the control circuit terminal 30 at the WIPER HIGH relay.
⇒X If greater than the specified range, replace the underhood fuse block.
11. Connect the WIPER LO relay.
12. Ignition OFF, wiper switch OFF, wait 20 seconds, Test for less than 1 Ω between the control circuit terminal 30 and ground.
⇒X If greater than the specified range, test or replace the WIPER LO relay.
13. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 85 and ground.
⇒X If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the underhood fuse block.
14. Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 30 and ground.
15. Command the WIPER LO relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn illuminate.
⇒X If the test lamp does not illuminate, replace the WIPER LO relay.
16. Ignition OFF, remove WIPER HIGH relay, connect a test lamp between the B+ circuit terminal 85 and the control circuit terminal 86.
17. Command the Wiper High relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between commanded states.
18. If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
19. If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
20. Ignition OFF, connect the WIPER HIGH relay. Disconnect the harness connector at the windshield wiper motor.
21. Test for less than 5Ω between the ground circuit terminal 3 and ground.
22. Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 1 and ground.
23. Ignition ON, command the WIPER LO relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
24. If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the WIPER HIGH relay.
25. If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the WIPER HIGH relay.
26. Ignition OFF, connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal 2 and ground.
27. Lo wipers ON, command the Wiper High speed relay ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
28. If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the WIPER HIGH relay.
29. If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, test or replace the WIPER HIGH relay.
30. Wipers OFF, test for B+ between the signal circuit terminal 4 and ground.
⇒X If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
31. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the windshield wiper motor.

Component Testing

Windshield Wiper Motor

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the windshield wiper motor.
2. Install a 25 A fused jumper wire between B+ and the control terminal 1. Install a jumper wire between the terminal 3 and ground.
3. Verify the wiper motor is operating in the low speed mode.
⇒X If the wiper motor is not in the low speed mode, replace the windshield wiper motor.
4. Install a 25 A fused jumper wire between B+ and the control terminal 2. Install a jumper wire between the terminal 3 and ground.
5. Verify the wiper motor is operating in the high speed mode.
⇒X If the wiper motor is not in the high speed mode, replace the windshield wiper motor.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Steve,
Thank you for posting the wiper info. This will give me something to work with. Life was a lot simpler before BCM's.

David C.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Thanks Steve. It seems my wiper issue is no longer intermittent. They no longer work at all.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I finally swapped the spare 2013 wiper assembly onto the 2011 as I am getting tired of the wipers working for a week and then they quit for a day or two. I pulled the 2011 wiper motor apart and it looked like new inside. The armature runs on shielded ball bearings so there are no bushings to get try or gummed up. The brushes are nice a free in the holders and I saw no discolored or burnt windings. If the wipers act up again, I may have to attach some temporary connects to the power leads going to the motor, as the motor always seems to start working after moving the assembly from it's original position. Can't see a wire being broken in the harness, but stranger things have happened. I will report back if the motor fixes the problem.

David