G8/AU Headlamp conversion

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Fudgehog

G8/AU Headlamp conversion

Post by Fudgehog »

Doing a search, I can't find any information on this. It seems to me that the G8 headlamps would be a direct fit for our car. I know they use H9 for the high beam instead of H7 but that's besides the point.

Are the harnesses the same/similar? Can an adapter/double female harness be made or purchased for the harness to fit our cars?

There are several lamp kits from Spyder, and others I was considering upgrading if it's not a big PITA. I'm quite surprised no one has raised this issue before.

Or would something Australian be a better bet? These look accurate enough.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/smithfi ... 1060585531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better pictures on this ebay one. They use Torx on the back instead of dust covers or something like that. See picture 2.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMOD ... 3054247919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Fudgehog on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: G8 Headlamp conversion

Post by smwalker »

They are not the same. Different shape and how they interact with the grille area and hood.

The two you linked are WM/WN headlamps but those are not the ones from the VE/VF
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

So VE/VF ones will work? I'm just trying to narrow this down. Same with the G8 lamps in that they don't fit with the body?

Just found the thread saying the G8s won't work, but these headlamps can't be completely unique to the PPV.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: G8/AU Headlamp conversion

Post by smwalker »

No the relation is:

VE=G8
VF=SS

They wont work unless you change the hood, core support, fenders, bumper.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Someone did the G8 conversion already, its the entire A pillar forward
https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=2000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Fudgehog wrote:...but these headlamps can't be completely unique to the PPV.
They are unique to the WM/WN platform. So alternatives models would be:

Holden Statesman
Holden Caprice
HSV Grange
Buick Park Avenue (China)

IN AU and I assume export there were Standard halogen and HID versions of the light capsules.
You can tell the HID versions quickly as they have a black pop out headlight washer system in the lower center part of the lens.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Thanks for the info, never saw that thread mentioned. I knew there was a sliver of hope for non OE lamps.

Active Duty USAF